Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Bowties with Asparagus, Tomatoes & Ricotta

My mom is finally at home and ready for a recovery that will lead her in the right direction towards healing and strength.  I thank you all from the bottom of my heart for your incessant support, your spiritual uplift, and your thoughtful words during this difficult time for my one-of-a-kind mother and our family. 

As I have said before, but I will say it again and again, Mama Suz is the most powerfully positive woman I know in my life.  If I can be, even the slightest way, like her in attitude, in spirit, and in courage, I would be so lucky. 

What better way to toast her being home than by creating a special summer pasta salad filled with freshness?  A salad that pays tribute to living a life filled with zest and vigor, just as she does every single day?

I created this pasta salad one evening this week because I was craving vegetables stripped down to their simplicity.  I also wanted the veggies to snuggle up comfortably with some pasta, so that it could be more of a satiating meal.  I added the ricotta for 2 reasons:  I needed a bit of a binder, and I also wanted a touch of creaminess.  And, extra reason number 3 - ricotta is just DELICIOUS.  Mmmm.

The veggies (asparagus and tomatoes) were jumping up and down, excited for their big debut in this deliciously simple kitchen creation.  I used 2 dried herbs, thyme and basil, for a depth of flavor; the herbs brought such earthiness to the salad.  Next time, I think fresh herbs paired with dried herbs would make it even better.  Fresh Italian parsley, for example, paired with a little dried thyme and/or basil. . .

Other Variations/Adaptations:
1. Go crazy with your veggies - whatever you like, throw it in there!
2. Goat cheese or feta cheese would be SO GOOD.
3. Sundried tomatoes would be tangy and awesome.  They would also add more texture to the dish.
4. Fresh herb recommendation (see above).

Ingredients: (makes 3-4 small servings)
-about 2 cups of dried bowtie pasta
-one small bunch asparagus, chopped into bite-sized pieces
-2 small tomatoes
-3/4 cup ricotta cheese
-extra virgin olive oil (few drizzles)
-juice and zest of 1/2 a lemon
-1/2 tsp. each of dried thyme and basil
-S & P

The Process:
I must say, Sauvignon Blanc is blissful as a sidekick to this salad.  So, go ahead and pour that glass while you're cooking!  Boil some water (with salt added to the water) on your stovetop.   Break each piece of asaragus, one by one, with your hands.  Each stem will break at the most optimal spot; throw the woody ends away.  Then chop the remaining stalks into bite-sized pieces. 

When water is boiling, add the asparagus to the pot, and cook 2-3 minutes.  Prepare an ice bath for your asparagus (bowl of ice and water).  Transfer the slightly cooked asparagus to the ice bath with a slotted spoon.  This will halt the cooking process and reserve that bold, bright green color.  Reserve your cooking water, and keep the stovetop on.  (You will use the same water for the pasta; why heat more water than you have to?) 

When the water returns to boiling, add the pasta.  Chop your tomatoes and set aside.  Add cooled asparagus to a serving dish.  When pasta is almost finished cooking (just shy of cooking time so you have a nice 'al dente' pasta), remove bowties with a slotted spoon and add to the bowl with asparagus.  Immediately scoop in your ricotta cheese and stir to coat.  Add dried herbs.  Add S & P to your liking, and drizzle with olive oil.  Stir again.

I let mine cool for about 10 minutes while I took the dogs outside and enjoyed the view.  The last thing I wanted was for my tomatoes to turn to mush from the heat of the pasta.   Add your tomatoes once the pasta salad has cooled a bit.  Stir lightly. 

Last step - add the juice of 1/2 a lemon, as well as the zest. 

A final stir, and HELLO SUMMER!!  This salad is scrumptious served just cooked and slightly warm or cold, straight from the fridge.
Grab a fork, refill your sparkling white wine, and take a minute to enjoy the beauty and reassurance of the sun setting and then rising again.  It's all about the ebb and flow to our days, the glimpses of light seen through times of darkness, and the strength that echoes within a family and helps to carry one another along ~
cheers to that.
I love you, Mom.
~peach & purple sky~
drive home from the hospital on the night before Mom came home

1 comment:

  1. We love you and are so hoping that you will make this sometime during the weekend! Love you bunches and bunches.

    xoxo
    Mom and JenJen

    ReplyDelete