Friday, October 19, 2012

Pucker Up Apple Snack

I sit here typing away on my laptop with a mug of Lady Grey tea with honey by my side, Mumford and Sons playing throughout my house with the windows wide open, 2 ridiculously cute dogs napping on haphazardly tossed blankets and pillows, and I realize, once again, that I do not stop enough to take it all in.  I do not stop enough to thank our higher powers for such astounding blessings. 

I am always striving to be mindful and to be fully aware of the moments, and I still feel that the days just fly by in a heartbeat.  It really is true that if you do not stop to relish the moments, life will just pass you by as you are completely unaware. 

So, on that note, let's talk about apples.  Virginia is my favorite state, and we have some pretty awesome apple orchards here.  I, of course, am biased, as I have lived here for my entire life.

October is Virginia's gold medal month, too.  We are literally surrounded by cool(er) breezes and cinnamon sunsets as our skin is tickled by falling leaves that boast crisp cornucopia colors. 

I found this recipe on Pinterest, and I thought I would try it out last week.  This Raw Apple Snack, which I have re-named "Pucker Up Apple Snack" is insanely good! The pucker from the orange and lemon juices combined with the sweet, crisp apple slices is incredible.  The citrus juices take the apple to an entirely different level.

Pucker Up Apple Snack
Source:  Pinterest (exact link unknown)

Ingredients (1 serving - adjust/increase if desired):
1 honey crisp apple (Fuji would also be a good choice)
juice of 1/2 orange
juice of 1/2 lemon

The Process:
Slice your apple into thin slices - as thin as you can go while still maintaining the integrity of the apple.  Remove seeds, or you can core the apple if you have one of those fancy schmancy apple corers. (A good knife and a set of steady hands work just as well).

Place the apple slices into a container.  Add the fresh orange juice and fresh lemon juice.  Lightly shake the container to dress the apples with the citrus.  You could also add a tiny bit of cinnamon to bring a little warmth to such a bright, perky snack.

Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes (and up to 2 hours) before snacking! 


Happy Virginia October!
 




No comments:

Post a Comment