Some may call us brave, some may call us naive new parents, some may call us empowered, but regardless of all the perspectives, hubby and I ventured to Pawleys Island last week with our little bundle of joy for a well-deserved vacation. Our typical 6-hour trip took 8 hours because of stops for feedings and diaper changes, but Samantha was an awesome car passenger! "Baby Seashell" knew where she was going all along - to the place that inspired her fetal term of endearment! And, she wanted to celebrate her 1 Month birthday in style.
When we arrived, the 2 cousins - Sam and Alex -were able to meet, the ocean provided a mesmerizing backdrop of white noise for the babies, and the salt air proved to be a refreshing jolt for all. We left our beloved Pawleys with renewed spirits, and we definitely left more empowered than before as new parents.
With the addition of two tots to the family, we embraced a whole new Pawleys. Instead of going out, we enjoyed eating in, fixing meals together that were leisurely made in between nursing babies and good conversations. Lounge clothes took on a whole new meaning, and we ignored all aspects of clocks, watches, and routines. In fact, we all embraced the "routines" of our babies; we ate when we were hungry, slept when we were tired (for the most part!), and innocently welcomed all aspects of relaxation whenever and wherever possible. If we felt the urge to fall asleep sideways on the couch at 3:00 p.m., that is exactly what we did.
I am calling this incredibly yummy concoction my "New Mama Appetizer" because it was so simple to make, and as a first-time mom to a newborn, I have found very limited opportunities to cook in the kitchen! I know this will change with time, but until then, I relish every opportunity that I can find.
I love the combination of a crunchy vegetable with something salty and something sweet, and that is exactly what this appetizer boasts. Enjoy!!
New Mama Appetizer
Source: my own - inspired from the popular bacon-wrapped dates seen at parties and weddings
Ingredients:
Fresh green beans
Fresh snow peas
1 package prosciutto
Fig jam
Extra virgin olive oil
S & P
The Process:
Preheat the oven to 425. Assemble 3 or 4 green beans or snap peas into a bundle with your fingers, spread a little fig jam on the veggies in the center, and then wrap the bundle with a half piece of prosciutto Wrap the beans/peas fairly tightly, but be careful not to break the prosciutto, as it is delicate. Place the bundles on a pan, and sprinkle them with a little cracked black pepper, a small touch of salt, and a light drizzle of olive oil. Bake in the oven for about 15 minutes!
The veggies will remain a little crunchy, the fig jam caramelizes a bit to add a sweet chewy bite, and the prosciutto adds just the right amount of saltiness. They are truly incredible and took a handful of minutes to prepare!
Of course, I need to include a picture of my brother and sister-in-law's amazing Shrimp 'N' Grits, too. They make this dish annually, and it is out of this world. My brother even created his own shrimp stock to boil the grits in, and I found this step to really take the dish to an entirely different level of yummy.
Until next time, Pawleys Island . . .
No comments:
Post a Comment