Saturday, January 11, 2014

Slow Cooker BBQ

You cannot lose with this recipe.  It is ridiculously easy, and it is absolutely outstanding.  I make it a little different each time (type of vinegar, amount of sugar, special extra ingredient, etc.), but as long as you have the boneless chicken thighs as the protein, you will win. . . time and time again.  

So, doctor up the recipe however you like.  I am including the ingredients I used last week for a "sweet and sour" version.  Scoop a heavenly mound onto a toasted potato bun and top it with fresh, zippy coleslaw, and you are in for a soul-warming, satisfying, homemade BBQ sandwich.  

Slow Cooker BBQ
Source: my own

Ingredients:
1 pack of boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 6)
3 T. orange marmalade
3 T. red wine vinegar
2 T. balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup your favorite BBQ sauce
sprinkle of red pepper flakes
dash of Italian herb seasoning
S & P

The Process:
As easy as 1-2-3, simply place the chicken in the bottom of the crock pot, add S & P to the chicken, and then top it with the rest of the ingredients, in no particular order.  There is no need to stir.  I like to finish it with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.

I feel like my slow cooker is incredibly fast (ironically).  It usually cooks the BBQ until it is fork tender in about 4 hours on low.  (Other slow cookers typically take around 6-8 hours on low).  After a few hours, you can break up the chicken a bit with a wooden spoon.  It will fall apart in the most magical way, and the sauce will just sink into it and flavor it even more as it continues to slowly cook.   

ENJOY!



No comments:

Post a Comment