Sunday, August 31, 2014

Mexican Macaroni Salad

I am always trying to find yummy options for lunches to "mix it up" a bit, while my dear hubby is famous for loving a standard "sandwich, chips, and a drink" kind of lunch.  Don't get me wrong, he loves it when I come up with something different to add to his lunch bag; however, he is just as happy with his usual lunch.  He did thoroughly enjoy this macaroni salad as a side to his pastrami and swiss on rye, though.  :)

I watched Ree Drummond (a.k.a. the Pioneer Woman) make this on her show recently, and I jotted down the ingredients immediately so that I could make it that very day.  It adds a savory and slightly spicy twist to a regular macaroni salad, and it is not swimming in a mayonnaise bath, which makes it even more wonderful.  The salsa mixed with the sour cream adds a ton of creamy, earthy flavor, and the beans and corn are simply delightful as added guests to the party.

Enjoy this scrumptious twist on a regular macaroni salad, and Happy Labor Day 2014!

Mexican Macaroni Salad
Source:  http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2014/08/mexican-macaroni-salad/

Ingredients:
1 lb. elbow macaroni, cooked and rinsed with cold water
2 ears fresh corn, husks and silks removed (I used about 2 cups frozen corn, thawed and steamed)
1/2 cup black olives, chopped 
6 whole roma tomatoes (or 2 tomatoes), chopped
3 green onions, sliced thin
1/2 red onion, finely diced
1 cup spicy jarred salsa
1 cup sour cream (or you can substitute plain Greek yogurt)
1/4 cup mayo (I omitted this completely & added a light drizzle of olive oil instead)
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon cumin
juice of 2 limes
handful of cilantro, optional
S & P

The Process:
Once you prep the ingredients, the rest is a piece of cake! In a large bowl, combine the cooked macaroni, corn, black olives, green onions, red onion, tomatoes, and cilantro (if using).  In a smaller bowl, make the dressing: combine the salsa, sour cream, mayo (if using), garlic, cumin, lime juice, and garlic.  Add some S & P to the dressing.  Stir to combine, and pour this over the macaroni mixture.  Stir gently to incorporate everything together.   

Garnish with a fresh squeeze of lime and a little bit of fresh cilantro, as well as extra S & P to taste!  Allow to chill for a couple of hours.  This salad keeps beautifully in the fridge for about a week.  







No comments:

Post a Comment