Friday, October 3, 2014

Hello, Fall!

Hello, Fall! The month of September flew by like a flash of lightning. I am in awe that we are already into October.  As the air crisps and the leaves crunch, I realize - once again - how special and magical this time of year is for those of us living in Virginia.  Along with the cooler air comes warm, soulful, festive food filled with aromatic beauty and tangible flavors.  Count me in. 

I am pretty sure I have written about this soup before on my blog, but I make it about once a month - it deserves a repeat post!  This soup is like a hug - an embrace that stays with you, lingers around, and warms you up from head to toe.  It is savory and simple.  Enjoy!

Kale, White Bean, and Sausage Soup
source: my own, inspired by a zillion similar recipes

Ingredients:
1 box of organic chicken stock
1 yellow onion, peeled and diced
2 carrots, peeled and sliced 
1 can of white beans, rinsed and drained
1 can of diced tomatoes 
4 smoked or Italian sausages, sliced on a diagonal  
3 or 4 cups of fresh kale leaves, removed from the woody stems 
S & P
red pepper flakes, to taste
cornbread or garlic bread as a side

The Process:
I usually use my Dutch oven for this soup, but you can use a big pasta pot if you do not have a Dutch oven.  Warm some olive oil over medium-high.  Cook the diced onion, sliced carrots, and sliced sausage together for about 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Add in the chicken stock, diced tomatoes, white beans, and S & P.  Add some water if you would like more liquid.  Cook over medium-low heat for about 30 minutes.  Add in the kale, and cook for another 10-15 minutes or so until the kale wilts some but still retains a nice green color.  

Serve alongside cornbread or garlic bread.  Top the soup with a little shredded parmesan if desired.  Red wine is a beautiful friend to this meal, as well.  

Hello, Fall!  







No comments:

Post a Comment