I am writing this post a day before my sister's 30th birthday rather than writing it on the actual day because we are boarding a plane to New York City tomorrow before the sun rises to celebrate! My sister, Jennifer, known to many as "Jen-Jen" and to my sweet toddler daughter as "Nin-Nin", will be 30 years old tomorrow.
I started this blog post in my mind a few weeks ago. It was so easy to bring to life the words for this post. The words on this page are the words she so effortlessly lives every day of her life. They are the words that fill the pages of our memories and write the stories of our exciting futures together as sisters, as women, and as friends.
As little girls, summer after summer, we lined up 30 collected seashells and sharks' teeth on the weathered gray deck of our beloved house at Pawley's Island. In our cherished home with the long driveway and the stained glass memories full of color and life, we created 30 story lines and choreographed 30 dances for our adoring audience (our brother, our pets, and our parents). 30 Barbie outfits and accessories were scattered on the floor for the choosing as we took turns dressing our Barbies for their adventures (and never really "playing Barbies" - dressing them up was all the fun). We stood on our tiptoes to view 30 ice cream flavors before selecting the perfect one (and then switching our cones or sharing them bite for bite). There are 30 home videos on VHS tapes documenting the wonder, beauty, and splendor of our childhood. We collected 30 sticks to help our brother build a fort but would get sidetracked in our own world and go inside to make a hot dog. We walked side by side in high school, she as a freshman and I as a senior, making 30 memories a week with a bond as unwavering and strong as a rope tying a ship to shore. As dedicated fans of our brother's band, we knew every word to 30 Butterhouse Band songs and attended atleast 30 shows. We lived together for 3 years in a quaint house in The Fan, enjoying at least 30 laughs each day and 30 bottles of wine each year. As I celebrated 30, I had just lost a pregnancy the month prior. Less than 30 minutes after I learned the news, my husband and I drove to Jen-Jen's apartment, as there was no where else I would rather be, where I would cry 30 tears and then cry 30 more.
My sister is a gift. She brings joy to the world through her smile, her optimism, her devotion, and her desire to make the world a better place. Her sweetness is contagious, and I am more than blessed to know her and call her my family and my friend.
Jen-Jen, my heart is full for you as you celebrate the beginning of a decade decorated with delight. I am always here to join you in the celebration of this life and to face all of the joys and all of the sorrows with open arms and open eyes.
Happy 30th Birthday to you.
Seashell & Aunt Nin-Nin
February 2015
No comments:
Post a Comment