Sunday, February 22, 2015

Graham Cracker Toffee Bars


Hello, and welcome to one of the most addicting, ridiculously delectable dessert treats you will ever make.  This is one of those blog entries where a picture needs to initiate the post because only a picture can open the visual curtain of excitement for these little gems and their sweet story.

These Graham Cracker Toffee Bars have just 5 ingredients and are super simple to make.  I am not a great baker, and so I thoroughly enjoy when a sweet treat can taste this sinful and this amazing with so little stress in the kitchen.  

I made these for Christmas, and they were everyone's favorite little secret.  We would walk by the treasure chest (also known as the tupperware container) of them in the kitchen, break off a piece or two, and walk away with a sly smile.  Then, we would find ourselves going back again . . . and again . . . and again. 

The crunchy pecans, dark chocolate, and crumbly graham cracker all marry together in exquisite fashion, unified by a sticky and buttery toffee.  

Graham Cracker Toffee Bars
Source:  www.thecomfortofcooking.com 

Ingredients:
15-16 graham cracker sheets
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1 cup (2 sticks) butter - I actually only used 1 stick of butter and reduced the graham crackers to about 10 sheets, and I thought they were perfect
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1 1/2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips

The Process:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Line a large baking sheet with foil.  Lightly grease the foil with non-stick cooking spray.  Cover the baking sheet with the graham cracker pieces.  I broke a few into smaller pieces and added them in where there were open spots.  

In a medium pot set to medium heat, bring the brown sugar and butter to a boil.  Reduce to a simmer for 4 minutes, stirring constantly.  Pour over the graham crackers and bake in the oven for about 8 minutes.  

Remove from the oven and immediately sprinkle with the chocolate chips.  Let sit for 1-2 minutes, and then use a spatula to spread the melted chocolate chips over the graham crackers.  Sprinkle pecans on top.  

Refrigerate for 1 hour, or freeze for 30 minutes.  Then, you can cut the toffee or break it apart with your hands into rustic little pieces.  I prefer the breaking method - the toffee bars look incredibly beautiful this way.  ENJOY.

"Celebrate, oh celebrate we will because life is short but sweet for certain..." -dmb


No comments:

Post a Comment