Saturday, June 27, 2015

Mini Ice Cream Sandwiches & Happy Father's Day!

I had every intention of writing this post on Father's Day last weekend, but moments were spent cherishing time with family and toasting all of the incredible men in our lives! Since the day she was born less than 2 months shy of 2 years ago, Seashell has been wrapped in a warm and wonderful blanket of love by her daddy.  Their love grows and deepens every day.  It is a magical thing to witness and to soak up into my own heart.  She and I are very lucky ladies to have him in our lives!

I made these little ice cream sandwiches with Seashell a couple of weeks ago.  She was my little helper in the kitchen with her apron on and her hands ready to make these delicious treats. She enjoyed using her fingers to smash the ice cream between the vanilla wafers.  Fortunately for us (and her toddler attention span), these do not take more than about 5 minutes to make.  They are the perfect dainty little treat to enjoy on a warm summer afternoon.  Enjoy!

Mini Ice Cream Sandwiches
Source:  www.thecomfortofcooking.com

Ingredients:
1/2 cup vanilla ice cream (or any flavor you love)
20 vanilla wafer cookies
toppings:  I used pecans and Girl Scout Thin Mint cookies 

The Process:
I used a food processor to separately chop up the Thin Mints and pecans.  To save time, you could buy crumbled pecan pieces (or any other nut) or break up the cookies in your fingers.  Set aside your toppings in a couple of bowls.

Next, use a spoon to scoop up a little ice cream to put on top of one vanilla wafer cookie.  I found it easiest to use my fingers to smash the ice cream a bit, pressing it down into the cookie.  Then, top the ice cream with another cookie, and roll it in the toppings.  That's it - easy as pie!  You could also use mini chocolate chips, coconut flakes, or sprinkles.  Yum.

Place in the freezer to set for a couple of hours, and then you can have a mini ice cream sandwich (or three) for a sweet treat! These last in the freezer (in an airtight container) for about 4-5 days.  You probably will eat them all before then, as we did. 







1 comment: