Saturday, January 9, 2016

Crispy Baked Chicken with Tomato, Spinach, and Feta

I feel like a broken record when I say "Where does the time go?", but I do feel like it has been flying by lately!  I noticed that my last post was before Thanksgiving!  I have not forgotten about this dear blog; however, with everything involved with making memories with a joyful toddler, entering a third trimester of pregnancy, and balancing a full time job, life gets a little wild!

This recipe is something I came up with the other night after looking through my kitchen to see what I had on hand.  I knew I wanted a simple dish that would be easy to make and full of flavor to enjoy on a busy weeknight.  This recipe does not disappoint!  

Enjoy! And, Happy 2016!

Crispy Baked Chicken with Tomato, Spinach, and Feta
Source: my own

Ingredients (serves 2):
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
bread crumbs 
1 egg, whisked
A little flour
1/2 bag fresh spinach or kale leaves
2 big slices of tomato
1/2 block feta cheese (you could also use crumbles - the sliced feta from the block roasted up nicely, though)
S & P
olive oil

The Process:
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees, and coat a baking dish with a little olive oil.  You could also use baking spray; I prefer the taste of real olive oil, though. :)

Slice the feta into thick slices.  Warm up a little olive oil in a pan over medium-high heat.  Add the spinach leaves, and sprinkle some freshly cracked pepper and sea salt over the leaves.  Cook for a few minutes until the spinach leaves are just wilted and cooked through.  Set aside.

Add a touch of S & P to each bowl of the flour and the bread crumbs, stirring to combine.  Dredge your chicken breasts in the flour first, then the whisked egg, and then the bowl of bread crumbs.  

Add the breaded chicken to the baking pan, topped with a scoop of sauteed spinach, a slice of ruby red tomato, and a salty piece of feta cheese.  Drizzle the chicken with a little olive oil, and bake, uncovered, for about 35-40 minutes.  I also set the oven to "broil" for a couple of minutes towards the end.  

The chicken is beautifully cooked, the feta is roasted and has a salty, chewy bite, and the tomato and spinach are a magical pair. 

Bon Appetit!


1 comment: