Thank you to my Food Network crush, Bobby Flay, for inspiring me with this insanely delicious sauce. I was watching FN one weekend morning recently, and I was literally salivating (before breakfast) while watching him whip up this recipe. He used it to top BBQ chicken, for a yummy “BBQ wings with bleu cheese” type of flavor pairing.
Hubby and I decided to make it that very night to sinfully dress a piece of beef tenderloin. Oh my goodness - it was CRAZY GOOD.
It compliments the steak without overpowering it. I know this because, typically, I like for all of my food to “mesh”. I am one of those odd birds who spears a vegetable with a fork, scoops it up with a bit of potato (or maybe a French fry!), and then dunks it into my salad dressing before eating it. My hubby, on the other hand, would probably eat on a cafeteria style plate if he could, with every food group resting in it’s own designated area - nothing touching without an invitation. I digress. My point is this: Hubby first tried the sauce on it’s own (a bite of steak, then a spoonful of sauce). He then decided that it was ten times better with the sauce on top of the steak, to be enjoyed simultaneously, in a boldly beautiful pairing.
We will be making this recipe again and again. It’s simply delicious. Big kisses to Bobby for this one.
Ingredients (for 2-3 servings):
(adapted from: http://www.foodnetwork.com/)
½ cup blue cheese crumbles
¼ cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
¼ cup reduced fat sour cream or plain Greek yogurt (he used crème fraiche)
Splash or 2 of nonfat half and half (he used heavy cream)
Juice of ½ a lemon (I added this just for fun because lemon is always a nice touch)
S & P
So, as you can see, Bobby’s version is more decadent and luxurious. Our version was lower-fat, and it still knocked our socks off; just use which ever ingredients are in your fridge. If bleu cheese doesn't do it for you, feta cheese would be a great alternative. Any dense, crumbly cheese with a bold flavor would fit the bill.
The Process:
Simply mix all ingredients together in a bowl. Do not overmix -stir together lightly. Adjust ingredients as needed if you would like a thicker or thinner sauce. Place a couple of spoonfuls on top of a beautiful piece of tenderloin that you have cooked to perfection on the grill, and you are in for a treat.
Tangy. Creamy. Fresh.
Insanely Delicious.
OH, my goodness! I want to make this right NOW! My mouth is positively watering...yum yum!
ReplyDeleteLove your pictures and descriptions, Meg. XX
Mom, it is SO good and so simple! We loved it and will definitely be whipping it up to top steaks in the future. Love you!
ReplyDelete