Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Lemon Chicken with Goat Cheese, Dried Plums, & Almonds

Inspired by:  www.foodnetwork.com (I just plugged in 'chicken' and 'goat cheese', and there were so many possibilities to explore.  Browsing various recipes is what inspired me to search my cabinets and gather a few things in my own kitchen that would be delish with chicken and goat cheese). 
I am not going to sugar coat it - you have to get your hands pretty dirty with this one.  I, for one, love getting my hands dirty.  During the cooking process, I think it’s extra fun when messy hands are involved, and it makes the whole process such an evolving, exciting creation. 

The flavors showcased in this recipe are bold and delicious.  The recipe itself is very simple to put together.  What more could one want in the kitchen than deliciously simple food?!?!  Wine, you say.  Well, of course.  My glass was resting on the counter for post-handwashing sipping.

This dish is absolutely delicious.  It’s packed (literally) with creamy goat cheese goodness, and the mixture of crunchy almonds with the chewy dried fruit is phenomenal.  The lemon and parsley both work in harmony to brighten up the flavors, and the honey adds the perfect touch of sweetness. 

Variations/Adaptations:  Hubby isn't as devoted a fan of goat cheese as I am.  He likes it, but he doesn't love it.  Fresh mozzarella or fontina cheese would be absolutely delightful alternatives if you feel goat cheese is too strong a flavor for your palate.  Dried cherries would be even better than plums, in my opinion. (they are pretty pricey, though; we didn't have those in the kitchen!)  Pecans would be a wonderful alternative to almonds, as well, if you want to change the recipe a bit.  Just food for thought...
I hope you enjoy this dish as much as I did.  It’s a keeper, just like the hubby. ;-)

Ingredients:
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 oz. plain goat cheese (about ½ of a small 4 oz. log)
4 or 5 dried plums (aka prunes), chopped
Small palmful of slivered almonds, chopped
Small palmful of fresh flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
Juice of one lemon + a small bit of lemon zest
Drizzle of honey
S & P

The Process:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Drizzle a little olive oil on the bottom of an oven-safe dish. 
To prepare your stuffing mixture, first scoop your goat cheese into a bowl.  Add the juice of one lemon + lemon zest.  Chop dried plums, almonds, and parsley.  Add these ingredients to the bowl, drizzle in a little honey, add some S & P, and stir the mixture lightly with a spoon to incorporate all of the flavors. 
Before Mixing:

After Mixing:
Massage your chicken breasts (yes, I said it).  Mom swears by it, and I agree; “kneading” the meat is what helps to make it so tender.  I said you’d be getting your hands dirty - no surprises here! Pat chicken with a paper towel to remove any excess moisture, and then season with S & P. 

Now, cut a “pocket” into the side of each piece of chicken.  Using your hands, stuff the chicken with 2 tablespoons or so of the mixture.   Do not overstuff.  I used a little kitchen twine to wrap the chicken to help keep it all together, but this is optional; I have made stuffed dishes before without twine, and it works out just fine.  Hmm, wrapping the chicken in a piece of prosciutto or bacon would be AMAZING (next time........) 

Place chicken in the dish, drizzle a little olive oil on top, cover loosely with foil, and bake for approx. 35-40 minutes.  Remove foil, turn oven to broil, and let crisp up under the broiler for another 2 minutes or so until golden.    
This is your product.  I told you it’s a keeper. 
Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment