Sunday, August 7, 2011

Crazy-Good Crab Cakes

The birthday crab cakes were a success!  Hubby was reading through Richmond Magazine the other day and immediately called with reference to an article he found with Acacia's chef describing how he puts together the restaurant's crab cakes.  This restaurant's crab cakes were voted "Best Entree in Richmond", so we had to try them out for hubby's birthday, right?! 

We have been to Acacia Midtown, http://www.acaciarestaurant.com/, a few times, and it is stylish, lively, effervescently cool, and extremely delectable.  Even though the specifics (i.e. measurements) of the recipe were not fully disclosed in the article, we used the ingredients that were mentioned as a catalyst for making our own delightful seafood spheres on Friday evening.  
They were packed with lump crab meat and tasted absolutely awesome.  I literally moaned my way through dinner.  I cannot even describe how savory and luxurious the flavors were, and the ingredients are so minimal.  This is definitely a “less is more” dish.   

To make them much healthier, we baked them in the oven instead of cooking them on the stovetop in oil, and they cooked ever-so-perfectly.  This is a tip from D2 (hubby’s dad), and he makes absolutely fantastic crab cakes, as I have mentioned in previous posts. 

We were also inspired by the sides chosen by Acacia to accompany the cakes.  With the crab cake snuggled up closely to a bed of garlic green beans and a piping hot pool of cheddar grits, the birthday dinner was perfect. 
Enjoy!
Ingredients (makes 4 crab cakes):
8-10 oz. lump crab meat, fresh
1 large egg
2 tablespoons mayo
1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
1 teaspoon relish (D2's addition)
1/4 cup bread crumbs
Salt and freshly cracked black pepper to your liking

The Process:
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.  Mix together all ingredients listed above except for the crab.  After those ingredients are incorporated together, fold in the crab with a spatula.  Form 4 cakes with your hands and place on a baking sheet sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. 
Cook the crab cakes in the pre-heated oven for 15 minutes.  Remove from the oven, gently flip the cakes to the other side, and cook for another 10-12 minutes.  (I also placed the garlic green beans in the oven at the same time as the time I flipped the crab cakes, to cook for the remaining 10-12 minutes.  I used fresh green beans, trimmed and washed, and I added 2 cloves of fresh chopped garlic, some S & P, and a little drizzle of olive oil.  They were crunchy, crispy, and full of flavor!)
Mmmmm... hello, deliciousness.

 
Bon Appétit! J




1 comment:

  1. My mouth is watering! Will you make them at the beach? Grits and green beans on the side, as well!

    ReplyDelete