Thursday, August 4, 2011

Summer Stuffed Tomatoes

Another one of the reasons I was jazzed up to start a food blog has to do with a friend’s blog that I was (and still am) always inspired by.  Ashby’s blog, www.awellspicedlife.blogspot.com is filled with yummy recipes, sweet insight, and awesome adventures. 

The star of one of her recent posts? Stuffed Tomatoes.  I was drawn in like a magnet, and I couldn’t wait to make these summer gems.   A few days after my eyes were fed through her words, I made them.  They were AWESOME.   I love stuffed peppers, which are usually filled with rice, meat (ground beef or sausage), onion, and spices, and so I knew I’d love this recipe.
The visual appeal of these Stuffed Tomatoes is incredible, the tastes are out of this world, and the ingredients are so much fun to put together in the kitchen.  Thank you, Ashby!
Ingredients (2 servings):
2 medium/large summer tomatoes, flesh and seeds removed with a small amount of flesh reserved
1 large boneless & skinless chicken breast, pan-sauteed and roughly chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped fine or minced
3-4 leaves fresh basil, chopped gently
1 teaspoon sage
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 palmful breadcrumbs
S & P
1 drizzle olive oil
cheese of your liking (for topping)
Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.  After the chicken is cooked and set aside, the tomatoes are scooped out and ready, the garlic is chopped, the basil is chopped, the dried sage is set aside, and the breadcrumbs are on the counter, you are ready to assemble your Stuffed Tomatoes. 
Place all above ingredients (excluding the tomatoes, of course) in a mixing bowl, and with a spatula or spoon, incorporate everything together ever-so-gently.  Add the reserved tomato flesh (approx. 2-3 tablespoons), a bit of salt and pepper, and a small drizzle of extra virgin olive oil to the mixture, and stir to incorporate. 

Place each tomato in a small baking dish with high sides.  (I also sprayed the dish with non-stick cooking spray).  Scoop the mixture into each tomato, place the "hat" of the tomato on top, and bake for approximately 20 minutes in the pre-heated oven.
After 18-22 minutes (eyeball them to make sure they don't get too cooked/too soft), remove from oven and add a little cheese on top.  Place under broiler for about a minute for cheese to melt.  Ashby used fresh parmesan, and we didn’t have that on hand, so we used freshly-grated sharp white cheddar.  
This is one of the many dishes I have bookmarked in my brain to create down the road with my little ones in the kitchen! :-)  The process a blast, and each bite is packed with savory summer flavors. 
We placed the tomatoes next to a fresh summer green salad,
and dinner was served on a warm August evening. 
Bon Appétit, and happy August!



No comments:

Post a Comment