I was inspired to make these fruity treasure bundles last week after browsing Claire Robinson's (Food Network Chef) delicious recipes online. I looked into my freezer, and voila! I have puff pastry! (so what if it's from Thanksgiving - it hasn't been a year yet!) I have raspberry jam! I have corn starch! I have lemon!
These homemade toaster pastries are perfection. The absolute beauty of them is their simplicity and their versatility. Next time, I am going to make a batch reminiscent of my favorite childhood Pop-Tarts and fill them with a mixture of brown sugar and cinnamon. And, I will make sure I give them all away...
except for one.
Homemade Toaster Pastries
Source: Claire Robinson, www.foodnetwork.com/5fix
Ingredients (makes 8 pastries):
3/4 cup your favorite jam
1 tablespoon corn starch mixed with 1 tablespoon cold water
2 sheets puff pastry, thawed (very important to thaw)
1-2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
*Claire made an icing out of powdered sugar to drizzle on top. I didn't do this. Instead, I just added a tiny sprinkling of powdered sugar to the tops of the pastries when they had cooled off and were ready to be enjoyed.
The Process:
Preheat your oven to 425 degrees. In a small pot, bring the jam, lemon juice, and cornstarch mixture to a boil over medium heat. Stir, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook, stirring every now and then, for 3-4 minutes. Set this delicious berry mixture aside and let it sit at room temperature.
Now, the fun part ... Lay 1 sheet of pastry on a board and cut it into 4 equal strips. Scoop a tablespoon or so of the cooled jam in the middle of the upper part of the dough. Fold the dough over like a little taco.
Press the edges together, and set them with a little water (just rub the water over the edges with your fingers). Press the edges down with a fork for a little pastry accessorizing. Repeat this process with the next puff pastry sheet.
Add the pastries to a baking sheet with a piece of parchment paper beneath them. Bake them in the preheated HOT oven for about 8-10 minutes (mine took about 15 - maybe because my puff pastry sheets were from 1982?)
I set the oven temp to Broil for the last minute or so to crisp up the tops of the pastries even more.... mmmm, delicious. You do have to keep your eyes on them; if they cook too long, the berry mixture will burst through the seams of the pastry dough and ooze all over the pan. This happened to a couple of mine. Let's just say that they did not make the photo shoot.
Allow the pastries cool completely, and enjoy them with hot coffee, a glass of milk, a mimosa... whatever your heart desires.
Flaky, buttery, warm, fruity.
Oh my goodness! That looks like it would charm my stomach to heaven and back. If I make them (and I want to!), I'll also give them all away except for one. :)
ReplyDelete