As you all know, my brother and his lovely wife have lived out in San Francisco for almost 3 years. They have been making names for themselves in the fields of graphic design and occupational therapy, and I am achingly excited for them to return to the East Coast in just a couple of months.
Hubby and I ventured out to visit them a few times, and this blog post is completely inspired by one very special night at their home. They are both exceptional cooks, and so, of course hubby and I were pretty darn excited to dine with them in their own home one evening. They are masters of “the process” of cooking, and you all know how crazy I am about “the process”. As Mama Suz always says, “you have to make food with love.”
Johnny and Rachel showed us how to make homemade pasta noodles that night in their pasta roller machine, which turned into the most special, salivating, and soul-warming meal of Spaghetti Carbonara. Johnny cracked the egg into the warm noodles at just the right time, and everything was perfection. From the culinary tricks and tips to the wine to the laughs to the Carbonara itself – that evening will stay in my heart forever.
Here in Richmond, there is a newly re-located restaurant called Enoteca Sogno in the Northside that propels me back to that San Francisco evening in the Selman kitchen. The restaurant is adorned with peachy-terracotta walls, and the bountiful bowls of perfect parmesan to accompany rustic bread and olive oil will transport you straight to Italy. Unassuming and understated from the outside, this restaurant is warm and welcoming inside. It feels like a big living room filled with the sounds of warm conversation and with the smells of garlic and red wine. You will leave feeling full and fully inspired.
While there recently, I enjoyed a meal of homemade spinach tagliatelle pasta with ricotta and wilted arugula. As I sipped from a glass of spicy, smooth Italian wine in between bites, I was zoomed straight into heaven.
Does it get any better than this? I do not think so.
Spinach Tagliatelle Pasta with Ricotta and Wilted Arugula
Yum! My favorite food is pasta (and potatoes, of course!)
ReplyDelete