Saturday, November 19, 2011

Soul-Warming Spiced Pumpkin Pancakes

I am one of those quirky, strange people who actually enjoys Daylight Savings Time.  It suits my circadian rhythms, my lifestyle, and my spirit.  Naturally, I like to go to bed early and wake up early.  This morning, I woke up and was inspired to make a Fall-inspired, tummy-warming breakfast. 

These Spiced Pumpkin Pancakes deserve a gold medal - a gold medal adorned within a string of happy, joyous, twinkling lights.  They are different than any other pancakes I have ever tasted, and they taste gourmet and special.   

Each bite conjures up those feelings that warm your heart while watching It's a Wonderful Life, The Holiday, or Love Actually.  These pancakes are festive and sparkly, and I promise you that you will fall into hopeless, reckless love with them.

I bet that you have all of the ingredients in your kitchens right now.  What are you waiting for?

Spiced Pumpkin Pancakes
Recipe:  www.thecomfortofcooking.com
*Makes 6-8 pancakes

Ingredients:
1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
2 T brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
dash of ground ginger
dash of ground cloves (or sub in pumpkin pie spice)
1 egg
1/2 cup canned pumpkin
1 cup milk
powdered sugar (for dusting)
maple syrup
1 T vegetable oil (or sub in 2 T melted butter)
blueberries (to place on top of the pancakes - optional, but delicious, I am sure!)

The Process:
Start the coffee.  Turn on some holiday music or Pandora's Amos Lee mix.  Gather 2 bowls, one for your dry ingredients and one for your wet ingredients.  Heat a skillet to medium-high (closer to the medium side than the high side so they will not burn).  Add some non-stick spray to the skillet.

Mix together the dry ingredients in one bowl (flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves).  Set aside.  Mix together the wet ingredients (pumpkin, egg, milk, veg oil or melted butter).  Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, and whisk together until you have a smooth, dreamy batter. 

Pour beautiful little orange spheres onto your hot skillet, and cook 1-2 minutes per side until golden brown.  I found that making smaller pancakes worked better, and they cooked more evenly than trying to make larger pancakes.  (just a tip!)

Look at those beauties.

These Spiced Pumpkin Pancakes will warm your soul. 
Happy Weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment