Dad also loves the cranberries that I make each Thanksgiving, commenting each year how they are such a necessary addition to each plate. In fact, he may be their number 1 fan at the dinner table each year. These cranberries bring forth a sparkly tartness to help cut the richness of all of those heavenly, starch-laden casseroles.
Enjoy!
Emeril's Cranberries
Recipe: Emeril Lagasse
*yields about 2 cups. I typically double the recipe.
Ingredients:
2 cups fresh cranberries, rinsed
juice and zest of 1 orange
1/4 cup Port (I usually just throw in 1-2 splashes of a smooth, sweet Pinot Noir)
1/2 cup sugar (I always add a bit more)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon cornstarch
dash of ground cloves (optional)
1 cinnamon stick (optional)
1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
The Process:
The optional ingredients are ones I have added here and there to jazz up the recipe. Adjust to your taste.
In a small saucepan, add the cranberries, orange juice and zest, sugar, and cinnamon. Bring this mixture to a boil, and then reduce heat to a simmer. Throw in the Port or Pinot. Cook the mixture until the cranberries are tender but not completely broken. I enjoy the textures that softened, whole cranberries bring to a cranberry sauce.
Stir together the cornstarch with about 1 tablespoon of water in a separate small bowl or ramekin. Whisk the cornstarch-water mixture into the cranberry sauce, and stir to incorporate all of the flavors. Taste a little spoonful, and then adjust the sugar as needed.
Remove from heat, and serve cooled or at room temperature.
So, Happy Birthday, Dad.
I have a feeling that this year is going to be extra special for you!
Great post, Meg! We had some leftover cranberry salad last night - it was even more delicious than on Thanksgiving!
ReplyDelete