I grew up with grits. Whenever I see them on a brunch menu, you can typically count me in to order a small side of them with a little cheese to accompany my brunch entree. Mama Suz makes cheese grits effortlessly and beautifully; my brother makes a version of Shrimp 'n' Grits that deserves blue ribbons and gold medals galore.
This recipe is inspired by one of my newest obsessions - the television show, The Chew. I record it so I can watch it in a condensed 40 minutes or so while, ironically, I do my pregnancy exercising. It is all about food, and the hosts are engaging, funny, and entertaining. I learn something new every single time I watch it, and I take that lesson right into my own kitchen.
One of the hosts whipped up this little dish about a month ago, and I can honestly say I have made it about 5 times since watching it. I made it for my parents over New Year's, and I have made it the other 4 times for hubby and myself on weekends. It's simple, satisfying, and delicious. Enjoy.
Creamy Grits 'n' Eggs
Source: inspired by The Chew, www.abc.com/thechew
Ingredients (2-3 servings, adjust as needed):
Quick-Cooking Grits
Cheddar Cheese
Equal parts water and Half & Half
2-3 eggs
S & P
bacon or sausage (the perfect sides)
fresh fruit
The Process:
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Brew your coffee, and set the table. Pour some fresh juice. This is a fun dish to enjoy at the table with your favorite cherished company rather than while watching TV, reading up on online news on your computer, etc. It needs to be SAVORED.
Prepare the grits according to package directions, except split the liquid amount between water and half & half instead of using water only. Quick-cooking grits take about 5 minutes. Make sure to whisk the grits into the bubbling liquid constantly to avoid sticking and clumping. Add in some shredded cheddar cheese, and voila, and they are ready.
Spray a small baking dish with some non-stick spray (or use butter if you are feeling extra snazzy).
Pour the grits into the baking dish. With the back of a spoon, form a little scoop within the grits for each egg. This part will not be perfect-looking. It will be a little messy and haphazard; just roll with it. You just want to have a little groove for each egg.
Break each egg into the little groove of the grits. Bake uncovered for about 18-20 minutes for the perfectly cooked - but slightly runny yolk - eggs. Remove from the oven, and let sit for a few minutes.
Scoop onto a plate, serve with a little bacon or breakfast sausage and some fresh fruit, and raise that glass of O.J. to the weekend.
This morning, as I made this dish for hubby and myself, he commented, "this is one of my favorite breakfasts you have ever made." And, with breakfast as my ultimate favorite meal, I make ALOT of breakfasts. :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment