This dish was born one of those nights where I tend to wander through the kitchen, opening up cabinets and searching the fridge, on a scavenger hunt of sorts. I had some ground beef I was planning to use for burgers later in the week, but I knew I would not be using all of it for 2 people/2 burgers, so my wheels started turning. I had a some salsa in the fridge, an onion, and some monterey jack cheese. 2 squash lay on the counter, just days from being "too squishy" to use. The brainchild - stuffed squash with ground beef, onions, salsa, and cheese!
I have another post dedicated to Stuffed Tomatoes, for which I am deeply obsessed. Garlic, chicken, cheese, and a big ol' tomato. Hello, delicious. This is a spin off of that recipe. I just used different ingredients but kept the same concept.
Stuffed Squash Boats
Recipe: my own
Ingredients (serves 2-3):
2 yellow squash
1/2 of a package of ground beef
1/2 cup diced onion
1 garlic clove, chopped
1 cup-ish black bean salsa (Newman's Own has a fabulous one)
shredded monterey jack cheese
S & P
olive oil
The Process:
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Cut the squash lengthwise, and scoop out the inside so that you have a little "boat". Sprinkle with S & P and some olive oil, and set aside. Once the oven is pre-heated, cook the squash for approx. 10 minutes. I was able to to scoop out the middle pretty easily before cooking, but if your squash are extremely fresh/right out of the garden, it may be less strenous on your arm muscles to scoop out the middle after baking.
While the squash is cooking, brown the meat and caramelize the diced onion together in a pan over medium-high heat with some olive oil. Add a little S & P. After a few minutes of cooking, add the garlic, but make sure to stir frequently to avoid burning the garlic.
When the meat is golden-brown, turn off the heat, and drain the beef-onion mixture on some paper towels placed on a plate. Let the beef-onion mixture cool for a couple of minutes.
A Corona infused with a lime is REALLY good right now, per hubby.
Next, in a mixing bowl, add the beef-onion mixture and the salsa together. Sprinkle in a small handful of montery jack cheese. Add more salsa if needed, but you do not want it to be a runny mixture. You want texture in there.
Remove the squash from the oven, and it's time to assemble your Squash Boats! Scoop some of the mixture into each 'boat'. Top with shredded cheese, drizzle with olive oil, and bake in the 375 degree oven for about 10-12 more minutes until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Brown the cheese a bit under the broiler if desired.
The combination of the savory meat with the sweet onions and the spicy tomato-bean salsa is heaven. Add these heaven-sent flavors to a hearty vegetable like squash, and you are in for a treat! We enjoyed a simple green salad with this dish, but it definitely stands alone just fine.
Bon Appetit.
No comments:
Post a Comment