Monday, January 23, 2012

Phenomenal Fried Fish Sandwiches

My palate is back! My love for different foods has returned!  Hallelujah!

This may not seem like such a big deal to many of you, but for someone who cherishes the quiet, dark mornings with black coffee and a double-portioned bowl of cereal or oatmeal, writes a blog all about food, reads cookbooks before bed, and is the happiest while cooking dinner in the kitchen - this is a HUGE deal. 

The first trimester was a little rough, but now that I'm 15 weeks along, my tastebuds are back, and they are on a mission! 

Last week, I decided to plan recipes based on Gwyneth Paltrow's cookbook, My Father's Daughter.  It is a beautiful cookbook.  It is filled with wholesome, simple recipes using diverse, yet simple, ingredients.  I have loved everything I have made from this cookbook, and I am looking forward to posting more and more from it in the future. 

One evening, I planned to make her recipe for Fried Fish Sandwiches, and I think I said, "Hallelujah, I am so happy I can eat different foods again!" atleast 100 times during dinner.  These sandwiches are easy to put together, and they sing with flavor. 

Fried Fish Sandwiches with Pickles and Spicy Mayo
Source:  adapted from Gwyneth Paltrow, from My Father's Daughter

Ingredients (2 servings):
2 pieces of boneless white fish (We used tilapia.  Gwyneth used sole.  You could use flounder, too.)
1/2 cup-ish of milk
3/4 cup plain bread crumbs (we used Panko)
1/2 lemon
1 large baguette, sliced in half (we used whole wheat hamburger buns)
1/2 cup loosely packed arugula or baby greens
bread & butter pickle coins (we used dill pickle spears, sliced in half)
S & P
Olive Oil

Spicy Mayo:  Mix together 3 tablespoons mayo with 1 T ketchup and 1/2 T Siracha (or more depending on your taste).

The Process:
Heat a few tablespoons of olive oil in a skillet on medium-high heat.  Add a little S & P to both sides of the fish.  Dip the fish filets in the milk, and then dredge them in the bread crumbs. 

Once the oil has heated, cook the fish for 2 minutes a side, and then place them on a paper towels (to let the extra cooking oil drain).  Squeeze the lemon onto the cooked fish.   

Slather some mayo on both sides of your bread of choice.  I would recommend toasting the bread first if you are using a soft bun like we did.  The baguette does not need any toasting - it will have enough texture!

Lay the greens and pickles evenly on one side of the bread. 

Place the cooked, crispy fish filets on top of the greens and pickles, and your sandwiches are assembled and ready for a big bite!

Crispy, hearty fish. Salty, crunchy dill pickle. Creamy, spicy mayo. Fresh, herby lettuce. 

HALLELUJAH.





1 comment:

  1. I just read this again and I am STARVING - other than the mayo (you know your momma..) it looks & sounds amazing! I think I will use a horseradish/ketchup on mine when I make this very soon for dinner!

    ReplyDelete