Friday, February 24, 2012

Slow-Roasted Tomatoes

I love simple recipes.  I know this is not new information - my blog is centered around simplicity in the kitchen.  I think this is why I love to cook so darn much, especially lately.  My mind is heavy and tangled these days; let's keep cooking light and lucid. 

These slow-roasted tomatoes are sweet, tangy, and absolutely delicious.  Please make them in your own kitchens.  Since tomatoes are not in season now - but they feel like they should be - go and grab a pint of them and make this recipe. 

They are perfect thrown into salads, nestled in between deli turkey and cheese for your lunch sandwich, and eaten by themselves as a delightful snack. 

It feels like Spring, so let's enjoy some tomatoes!

Slow-Roasted Tomatoes
Source:  Gywneth Paltrow's Cookbook, My Father's Daughter

Ingredients:
As many grape or cherry tomatoes as you would like
Olive Oil
Salt

The Process:
Preheat your oven to 275 degrees.  Slice tomatoes in half lengthwise and place on a baking sheet.  Lightly drizzle extra virgin olive oil on them, and add a bit of salt. 

Slowly roast the tomatoes inside the oven for 3-4 hours.  They will be ready when the edges are caramelized, and they appear "sun-dried".  The slow roasting process removes almost all of the moisture, and the sweetness of the tomatoes intensifies to a whole new level.  Just wait and see for yourself . . .

~the finished product~

Fresh greens. Bleu Cheese.  Broccoli. 
Slow Roasted Tomatoes. 
Oil & Vinegar. 



*Store these slow-roasted tomatoes in an airtight container in the refrigerator with a tiny bit of olive oil added to them, and they will stay fresh for a week and some change!  Enjoy. 


1 comment:

  1. I am going to make these tomatoes ASAP! I'll bet the kitchen smells heavenly while they are roasting.

    ReplyDelete