Sunday, March 11, 2012

Oscar Night Pork au Poivre with Apples

I love traditions, especially food-related traditions.  I also love watching The Oscars.  This year, I put a stamp on a new tradition for us.  On Oscar night, a recipe inspired by another country's cuisine will be born in our kitchen.  The recipe has to boast the following qualities:  fancy, flavorful, and not in the least bit fussy. 

On the evening of the epic Oscars this year, we made what I will now coin "Oscar Night Pork au Poivre with Apples". 

In French, the word, "poivre" means "pepper".  This recipe is adapted from Mario Batali's recipe.  I adore Mario.  The way he describes food zooms me right to the country where the recipe got its wings, and I instantly want to make it in my own kitchen.  So, that is exactly what I did. 

Oscar Night Pork au Poivre with Apples
Inspired by:  Mario Batali's recipe for Pork au Poivre with Apple Flambe

Ingredients:
1 pork tenderloin, cut into 5 or 6 medallions
3 Granny Smith Apples, cut into slices and wedges (seeds removed, of course)
3 T butter
extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup chicken stock
1 T whole grain mustard (we used 2 because I am obsessed with mustard)
apple brandy (optional - Mario would disagree!)
flour for dredging pork medallions
2 T green peppercorns (we omitted these and used about 1 T black peppercorns.  Green ones are milder, but we could not find them at the store - next time I make this dish, I will search for green ones)
2 T green chives, chopped (optional)
3 T creme fraiche (we used sour cream - still delicious!)
S & P

The Process:
This recipe is incredibly simple to make.  Hubby even watched (in adoration) of how easy I made it look while cooking (because it was easy, I promise you).  Make it tonight!

Mario used apple brandy to "flambe" the apples.  Since we did not have this in our liquor cabinet, I chose to omit it.  My mind danced across the idea of replacing it with another liquor, but I refrained due to possibly ruining the recipe!  Without the addition of brandy, this recipe was still out of this world.  You may be floating along happily somewhere in the solar system if you add the brandy, though.  So, do you what you like and use what you have. :)

Start by placing the pork medallions in between 2 pieces of plastic wrap.  Pound them gently with a mallet or rolling pin.  This step helps to tenderize and "soften" the meat a bit, while also reducing the thickness of it.  Next, add S & P to both sides of each pork medallion, and set them on a plate.

Heat up 2 skillets on medium/high - one with the 2 T butter and a small drizzle of olive oil (for the apples), and the next one with 1 T butter and a few drizzles of olive oil (for the pork). 

Dredge each medallion in flour.  Shake off excess flour from each piece.  When your pan is hot with bubbly olive oil and rutilant butter, place the pork medallions in the pan.  Add the whole grain mustard and the peppercorns.  Add the chicken stock.  (This is where the apple brandy would be used if you are using it).   

The most important step of the ENTIRE recipe is this:  Do not touch the pork for 3 minutes!  Let the caramelization happen!  Letting the pork cook without moving it around will help form the golden brown crust on the outside.  Yum. 

After the time commensurate of a classic Beatles song has elapsed, flip the medallions and spoon in the creme fraiche (or sour cream).  Stir the sauce a little with a spoon or whisk to incorporate all of the deserving nominees of flavors. Let cook for another 2-3 minutes with the heat reduced to medium.  Remove from heat and allow pork to rest. 

Add your slices and wedges of apples to the pan with the warm butter and olive oil mixture.   Add a little salt to bring out all of the sweetness of the apples. Let cook about 2 minutes, flip, and cook 2-3 minutes on the opposite side.  The apples will be singing with flavor and will still be slightly crunchy. 

Serve Oscar Night Pork au Poivre with Apples in the following way:  Plate the apples first, and then top with a medallion of pork.  Spoon some more of the creamy mustard peppercorn sauce over the pork as desired.  Add chopped chives on top if you would like. 

Tender pork.  Tangy mustard.  Spicy pepper. 
Succulent cream.  Sweet apples. 









1 comment:

  1. YUM! You do make things look easy, Meg...you are such a great cook!

    ReplyDelete