This recipe was provided to me by a lovely work friend, Sara, who found it online via a food blog that she reads (and now I read, as well!)
Immediately intrigued, I chose to make this pizza for the first gathering of a Book Club I am in, which set sail a few weeks ago. I was drawn to this recipe for the unique visual appeal and bold, sassy blend of flavors.
Bon Appetit!
Blackberry-Fennel Pizza (with goat cheese, macadamia nuts, and honey!)
Source: www.scalingbackblog.com
Ingredients:
Pizza crust or dough (pre-made or you can make your own if you have extra time)
1 1/2 cups fresh blackberries, rinsed
1 small bulb of fennel, sliced (reserve a palmful of the fronds for garnish)
8 oz. fresh goat cheese, crumbled with your fingers
1/4 cup hazelnuts (I used macadamia nuts instead, toasted them, and then roughly chopped them)
2 T fresh thyme leaves (removed from stems), chopped (I used a little less than 2 T)
1-2 T honey
1-2 T cornmeal (for dusting crust)
S & P to taste
extra-virgin olive oil
The Process:
Start by drizzling a tiny bit of extra virgin olive oil on the crust. Dust a little cornmeal on the crust, with attention paid to the edges. Then, place the crust inside a pre-heated 425 degree oven for 4-5 minutes just to brown it a bit before topping it with the luscious toppings.
Remove the crust from the oven. Crumble the goat cheese onto the crust. Sprinkle the blackberries throughout the goat cheese. Add the sliced fennel. Toss in the roughly chopped, toasted nuts (macadamias or hazelnuts). Add S & P to your taste. Place the pizza back in the oven for about 10 minutes to warm everything through.
Once the pizza is golden brown and appears as if it was transported straight down from heaven, remove it from the oven, drizzle lightly with honey in a cross-hatch pattern and top with the reserved fennel fronds. Serve warm.
Bursts of mellow blackberries,
tangy goat cheese,
crunchy macadamia nuts,
sharp, sweet fennel. . .
to me, this pizza is heaven on earth!
No comments:
Post a Comment