Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Celebratory Champagne Sangria

One of my dearest friends on this earth, Mary Rob, is expecting a beautiful blessing this August.  She is just over 7 months pregnant as I am typing this, and she is as cute as ever. 

Last weekend, Mama Suz and I traveled down to Raleigh in her sassy buttercup VW bug to celebrate with Mary Rob, her family, and her friends at a lovely Baby Shower.

The day twinkled with sweet conversation, warm hugs, and happy tears.  It was magical and very special. 

This Champagne Sangria is perfect as a celebratory cocktail. It is refreshing, sweet, effervescent, and incredibly easy to put together. 

I made it for our Book Club's first meeting recently (along with the Blackberry-Fennel Pizza from a previous post), and it was, by far, the most sought-after beverage. 

The mint brings a bright mouth feel, the lemon and lime slices add tartness, the orange juice adds a hint of texture, and the champagne boasts perky bubbles and personality. 

Make it this week, or this weekend, and you will be so happy that you did. 

Celebratory Champagne Sangria
Source:  Giada De Laurentiis, www.foodnetwork.com

Ingredients:
1 bottle of Prosecco or Champagne
1/2 cup orange juice
2 cups mint simple syrup
(mint simple syrup recipe:  combine equal parts water and sugar in a pan - I used 1 cup of each - bring to a light boil, reduce, add a few sprigs of fresh mint, and let simmer for 15 minutes or so - uncovered - until the sugar is dissolved and the mint has infused the syrup)
1 lemon, sliced thin (Giada also used the zest - I did not)
1 lime, sliced thin (again, zest is optional)
1/2 cup fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced (I added more, about 1 cup)
fresh mint sprigs
ice (optional - I did not need any because it was consumed too quickly!)


The Process:
Make sure to remove the mint from the mint syrup before adding it to the Sangria, as it has become a little brown and has lost some flavor.  This is why you add fresh mint to the mixture - so that the fresh mint will pop with flavor and color. 

In a large pitcher, combine the champagne, orange juice, mint simple syrup, lime slices, lemon slices, extra fresh mint sprigs, and sliced strawberries. Stir to combine.

Serve, and celebrate!

~ Cheers to the ebb and flow of new lives and old friends ~


1 comment: