Thursday, September 20, 2012

Celebratory Indoor S'mores

To me, life is all about gratitude, mindfulness, hard work, and celebrations.  This weekend, the celebratory piece will really come to fruition as hubby's lovely cousin, Stephanie, is getting married to a warm and wonderful guy named Matt. 

The recipe I am bringing you today is so scrumptious I cannot even describe it, but I will do my best.  These S'mores should be made to celebrate, if nothing else, the exquisite, organic season change happening right now in Virginia.  As the air is not quite ready for a campfire, a double boiler can be used on the stove to warm up some chocolate, and these Celebratory Indoor S'mores can be made from start to finish in less than 1 hour. 

I pulled this recipe from The Pioneer Woman, Ree Drummond, and I will say she definitely made it look easier than it really was; your hands will get pretty messy and you have to rush to get all of them dressed in chocolate from head to toe before the big show, but it really is worth it.  These treats are incredible.  They remind me of chocolate-covered graham crackers from coffee shops, but with so much more pizazz.  

Celebratory Indoor S'mores
Source:  www.thepioneerwoman.com/cooking (search for Chocolate-Covered S'mores)

Ingredients (Makes 8 S'mores):
16 whole graham crackers, broken in two
1/2 container of marshmallow creme (original recipe called for the whole container; I found I did not need that much and that 'less was more')
1 package melting chocolate (I used Baker's brand chocolate)
a handful of crushed, broken pretzel pieces
*The original recipe used chocolate sprinkles, rainbow sprinkles, and other sweet toppings.  Ree actually recommended using pretzels after making her first batch, as she said they turned out a bit sweet - I concur! Pretzels are the perfect addition!)

The Process:
Place 8 of the squares on a plate lined with wax paper.  Scoop a spoonful of marshmallow creme onto the graham crackers.  Top each cracker with another cracker, and press down gently (but not too much) to secure.  Put this plate into the freezer for about 30 minutes to allow the marshmallow creme to set within the crackers.

Next, melt the chocolate on the stove using a double-boiler method (e.g., fill a pot about halfway with water, put a heat-safe bowl on top of the pot, add the chocolate to the bowl, and turn the heat to medium-high).  Stir the chocolate frequently as it begins to warm.

One by one, dip the graham cracker squares into the chocolate.  Work quickly.  This is when I became a little frazzled because the chocolate was hot and the marshmallow creme was warming quickly and becoming drippy even though it was semi-frozen and was only taking a split-second chocolate bath.  Again, I will say - it is so worth it. 

When the S'mores are still warm and are getting comfy on the same plate with the wax paper that was used for the cool-down earlier, add a few chopped, broken pretzel pieces to the top of each cracker.  Put this plate back into the freezer for about 20 minutes.  Remove, and let rest at room temperature until ready to serve.

How delectable and beautiful are these tasty, chocolately treasures? 


With a mixture of salty & sweet from the pretzels, marshmallows, and chocolate, these treats bring forth a phenomenal flavor explosion with each sweet, salty, yummy bite.  The taste of the graham crackers instantly brings you back to summer camp and childhood, too.  I am in love with these sweet treats and may just have to make them again this weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment