Sunday, February 3, 2013

Silver Linings

One year ago today - 2/3/12 - I walked into a clinic examination room ready to hear my baby's heartbeat for the 2nd time, strong and fast, just like before.

Walking into that room, I had no earthly idea that February 3rd would be tattooed onto my soul as the day I discovered an entirely new and raw sort of pain.  

I honestly cannot believe it has been a year since our 16-week miscarriage, while my husband says it feels like centuries because so many events have happened and memories have been made since that heartbreaking, sad day.  

Growing up within a family interconnected by positivity and linked together through acceptance and love, I always knew that, throughout the pain, I was bound to find a silver lining in the mess of the clouds that hovered over me that day.  

Throughout this past year, I was greeted every day by a husband with the same organic optimistic outlook I was used to from him, but I felt it in an entirely new way.  I realized, with more and more acceptance as the days went on, that we really are not the product of what happens to us; instead, we are the result of our reactions to those events and how we actively make the choice to soldier on afterwards.

What is to come for us may be exciting, it may be heartbreaking, it may be magical, it may be surprising . . . but I do know that there is always a silver lining.

Because of 2/3/12, I feel stronger.  I also feel more thankful for life's precious moments, whether those moments break our hearts or fill them with joyful love . . . or both. 





"It hurts to look at the clouds, but it also helps, 
like most things that cause pain."

-silver linings playbook-



1 comment:

  1. You are truly one of the most beautiful people (inside and out, of course) I am lucky enough to kinda know. That Selman spirit is unmatched.
    Xoxo
    Dana P

    ReplyDelete