Tuesday, November 11, 2014

7 Years

7 years ago today - on November 11, 2007 - the lightness in the world dimmed.  One of the sweetest souls I have ever known left this life on that day after a tragic accident.  On the 11th of November, he danced his way into the eternal life.  

I missed Edwin the second I found out he was gone.  I have missed him every day since that day in different ways, here and there.  I feel him through a lovely layered sunset, a magnetic thunder of laughter between friends, and a silent appreciation on a regular day.  

If you knew Edwin, you smiled when you thought of him.  If you knew Edwin, your heart was happier, your life was richer, and your laughs were a lot louder.  If you knew Edwin, you were thankful for him.  When we lost Edwin, we held the ones we love even tighter because it was a gripping reminder that our moments are sacred and our days are numbered. 

As long as Edwin had your hand intertwined in his, you danced in front of crowds without an ounce of hesitation.  You sang at the top of your lungs and never met a stranger.  You lived life as we all should be living our lives - spontaneously, candidly, gratefully, and happily.  

We danced side by side in preschool as our teacher strummed her acoustic guitar.  We enjoyed birthday parties with roller skates and sheet cakes.  We made jokes in geometry class when we should have been paying attention.  We walked hand in hand as high school prom dates.  Knowing Edwin for 25 years changed my life forever.

Now, 7 years later, I may only hope that when I dance with my own daughter in our kitchen or laugh recklessly with my husband or wrap someone up in a tight bear hug that Edwin's spirit lives on through the joy around us. 

To his remarkable family, thank you.  Thank you for being the sweetness in his life.  You were the ones he cared for more than anything.  To his rock-solid friends, thank you.  Thank you for carrying on his legacy through the annual Rooster Walk.  

Edwin's light will shine on through our laughs, our dancing, our love, and our zest for life . . . until we see each other again.  


"Here's to the stories we will tell our children ~
Raise your glass to our friend, Edwin Penn."

-Johnny Selman, "Rooster" 


No comments:

Post a Comment