Friday, December 19, 2014

A Bowl of Warmth & Merry Christmas!

Hello to everyone, and Merry Christmas!  This past month has been busy and beautiful.  The miracles of the holiday season are all around us; the twinkling lights, joyful melodies, sweet smiles, and warm meals remind us each day how truly grateful we are.  I am beyond appreciative for this life, and I wish you all bountiful blessings throughout the upcoming year and beyond.  

Since having our Seashell in our lives, weeknights are typically decorated with no-fuss, easy-to-make dinners.  Running around after a spirited toddler who loves her artwork, her golf clubs, her books, and her kitchen, keeps us on our toes, and I would not change it for anything.  

After working a particularly long and tiring day last week, I gathered a handful of ingredients from the fridge and pantry and made this soup.  I will be making it again very soon.  It is hearty and heavenly, and it warms and feeds your soul.  

A Bowl of Warmth: Chicken Stew with Tomatoes, Spinach, and Beans
Source: my own, inspired by the chill in the air

Ingredients:
1 package boneless skinless chicken breasts, thighs, or tenders 
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can white beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup black beans (optional)
1/2 cup marinara sauce (more if desired - this ingredient adds a touch of sweetness)
1/2 bag fresh spinach leaves
1 container chicken broth or stock, reduced sodium
juice of 1/2 a lemon
seasonings for the protein (I used garlic powder, onion powder, Italian herb blend)
S & P

The Process:
Heat a large pot on medium-high with 2 tablespoons or so of olive oil.  Cut up the chicken into bite-sized pieces.  Season with salt, pepper, and herbs/spices.  Add the chicken to the pot once the oil is hot, and allow to cook for 5-6 minutes until browned and cooked through, stirring occasionally.  Add the rest of the ingredients (beans, diced tomatoes, chicken stock, marinara sauce), except for the spinach and lemon juice.  Stir all ingredients to combine, add a little S & P, bring to a boil, and then reduce to a simmer.  I let the soup simmer for about 1 hour, but anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours is great.  Stir it occasionally.  When you are about 10 minutes away from serving the soup, add in the spinach leaves and the fresh lemon juice.  These 2 ingredients are the stars of the soup.  They really add the sparkle! 

Serve alongside freshly baked garlic cheese bread.  

Enjoy, and Merry Christmas to all!!  



No comments:

Post a Comment