Monday, April 11, 2011

Asian Meatballs with Cous Cous

I love Asian-inspired dishes.  Everyone who knows me well knows I could eat at Mekong, a superb Vietnamese restaurant in Richmond, 3-4 times per week and not get tired of the rice noodle salad with grilled chicken topped with a crispy spring roll.  I love Asian-inspired dishes that are fresh, flavorful, and feisty.  Yes, I said feisty.   A personality all their own is what I am looking for with my Asian-inspired dishes.

Tonight, I was inspired to make an entrée that whispered simplicity and sparkling deliciousness while on the plate but would then erupt into a vibrant, rockin' party at the first bite.  This is when I landed on the planet of Asian meatballs, and I had a hard time coming back to Earth.  Read, buy the ingredients, make in your own kitchens, and fall in love.  It’s a beautiful thing.
Asian Meatballs
Recipe inspired by:  http://www.skinnytaste.com/

What You Need:
1 lb. or so of ground turkey
1 tbsp. soy sauce
¼ cup Panko bread crumbs
1 egg
2 chopped scallions
Juice of one lime
1 tbsp. chopped-very-fine-fresh ginger (I used 2 tablespoons because I adore ginger). 

*The recipe I adapted this from also called for salt, garlic, and cilantro.  I didn’t add salt because of the soy sauce.  I chose not to add garlic and cilantro, as I wanted the ginger flavor to really pop, but I’m sure those additions would be awesome!  I also squeezed the juice of one lime into my version; the acidity helped to brighten up all of the flavors.  Just play with the flavors you enjoy. . .
How You Get it Done:
Preheat oven to 500 degrees.  I know, CRAZY HOT!!  Spray a baking sheet with non-stick spray (I used foil sprayed with non-stick spray to ease the cleaning process afterwards).  Using your hands, mix together all of the ingredients listed above in a bowl:  Ground turkey, one egg (beaten), soy sauce, Panko bread crumbs, lime juice, scallions, ginger.  I added a bit of freshly cracked pepper, also. 

Form into meatballs.  Place meatballs on the baking sheet, and toss in a little olive oil to coat.  I used chili-pepper infused olive oil, which added a nice little kick.  The olive oil also helps the meatballs brown to perfection while cooking away in the crazy-hot oven.  Bake for 15-20 minutes.  Just keep your eye on them. 

Cranberry, Onion, & Ginger Cous Cous 
Recipe:  My own. (I add various things to starches like Cous Cous and rice all the time with my favorites being nuts and fruits.)
I started by placing some chopped white onion, a handful of dried cranberries, 2 chopped scallions, and approx. 1 tablespoon of freshly minced ginger root in a pan with a light drizzle of olive oil.  I cooked them for 4-5 minutes.
I then made the Cous Cous (traditional-no added flavors- boxed Cous Cous) according to package directions.  Fluff with fork & marry all ingredients together gently.
Serve 3 meatballs on a snuggly bed of Cous Cous.
After hubby took his first bite, he thought a little "topper" may just send the whole dish over the edge in a great way, so I whipped up a sauce I will call, “Honey Soy Drizzle”.  I combined about 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil with 1 tablespoon of honey.  I then added a quick dash of soy sauce.  I whisked the mixture together and drizzled over the meatballs. 
 Bon appétit!


No comments:

Post a Comment