Sunday, April 10, 2011

Rise and Shine for Egg Muffins

One of the momentous reasons I started this blog was because I enjoy the process of cooking.  I enjoy the process of cooking almost as much as I enjoy eating the product!  Hubby definitely laughs at me (endearingly) because sometimes I pretend I have my own cooking show and talk to myself in the kitchen.  My sister witnessed this when we lived together, as well.  Oh man, my secret is out. 

I feel that I love the process of cooking because I can be devoted and focused.  Find a recipe, throw on a cute apron, turn on some tunes (music is essential!), and I am a happy lady.  I am focused on the creation of something, and, that is why, to me, cooking is such an art.  It's creative, it requires focus and attention, and it really does take on the qualities of the cook who prepared it.  My Mom, who is quite the savvy cook herself, always says, "food needs to be made with love".  Thank you, Mom, for instilling that within me.

Yesterday morning, I wanted to make eggs but wanted to make them differently.  I remember seeing Giada de Laurentiis do some sort of egg creation in a muffin pan a few years ago.  I couldn't remember what exactly she did, but I remember thinking I wanted to try it.  I couldn't find Giada's recipe, so I plugged "eggs in a muffin pan" into Google, and I found out how to bake eggs in a muffin pan.  Easy as pie!  I'm in!

They were delicious and different.  This is my interpretation and adaptation.  I hope you enjoy!!

What you need:
Eggs
S & P
Nonstick cooking spray or butter
Cheese
Whatever sides you would like

How you get it done:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Liberally spray each muffin cup with non-stick spray (or use butter).
Crack 1 egg into each muffin cup.
Add some S & P.
Bake in preheated oven for about 12 minutes.
Remove from oven, change oven setting to "broil".
Add a little cheese of your liking (we used a little Colby Pepper Jack).
Broil for about 1 minute until cheese on top is bubbly.


Serve with any breakfast side; we chose bacon and whole wheat toast with raspberry preserves.  Our's was the perfect balance of protein and complex carbohydrates  (and a little bacon!) Everything's better with bacon, right?

Variations: 
1.  I cooked our Egg Muffins for about 12 minutes, and the yolks were about 80% cooked through.  I prefer them a little runny, while hubby doesn't, so I found a happy compromise (hello marriage!).   Just reduce your cooking time to 8-10 minutes if you want the eggs a little under-done.  Cook for 13-15 minutes if want them cooked all the way through. 

2.  Whisk eggs together in small bowl with a little cream, S & P, diced veggies of your liking, shredded cheese, and sausage or bacon cut into small pieces.   Pour into muffin pan, bake for about the same amount of time, and you have delicious grab-and-go mini omelettes! 

3.  Hubby and I also talked about changing up Eggs Benedict a bit by using baked eggs instead of poached.  Add crispy Canadian bacon and an airy, fluffy English muffin, and you have a delightful twist on the delicious classic. 

Whatever kind of Egg Muffins you choose to create, the ideas are endless, and I promise you, it's alot of fun.  Rise and shine, turn on that music, and enjoy the process!

No comments:

Post a Comment