Monument Avenue 10k- check.
Hot shower - check.
Double dose of Advil - check.
Bottle of white chilling in the fridge - check.
Avocados for guacamole, hummus, salsa, and chips on the counter for the big game – check.
Boys at the grocery store picking up grilling items – check.
Big blanket, sister, and mom on the couch - check.
Yesterday was a blissful day. While we were relaxing after the 10k, my mom, sister, and I were watching The Food Network. Watching FN is one of my absolute favorite things to do. I keep a notepad and pen in the living room so I can jot down inspirations, I am always intrigued by each chef’s creations, and I have a crush on Bobby Flay. I could go on and on about why I love FN, but enough said (for now).
Claire Robinson from 5 Ingredient Fix created this recipe, and I am forever indebted to her for the simple brilliance of this one-pot wonder. As we watched yesterday's episode, we were mesmerized; we could taste each bite practically through the TV, and I just knew I had to make it as soon as possible.
It is absolutely perfect for the merging of winter into spring, where the nights are still chilly, but the tomatoes sitting on grocery shelves in the produce department start to look a little more attractive and perky, as summer is just over the horizon.
Enjoy every single spoonful of this recipe; I know I did. It’s a winner, and it really is simplicity in its very finest form.
Roasted Tomato-Bread Soup
Source: Claire Robinson, 5 Ingredient Fix
Ingredients:
Garlic-infused olive oil
½ cup finely sliced basil leaves, plus more for garnish
1 28 oz. can of crushed San Marzano tomatoes (I used regular crushed tomatoes because the others weren’t at the store, but Claire recommends San Marzano- this type of tomato cuts down on the acidity a bit. Mom suggested adding ¼ tsp of baking soda to the soup while cooking, and this did the trick!)
1 lb. vine ripened tomatoes, quartered and seeded
1 small loaf day-old sourdough bread or a baguette, torn into ½ inch pieces (about 3 cups). I tore mine into larger chunks (about 1").
1 ½ cups water
S & P to taste
Freshly shredded parmesan cheese (Meg’s addition)
The Process:
First, quarter your vine-ripened tomatoes, remove seeds, and place them on a rimmed baking sheet. Toss tomatoes with 1 tablespoon of the garlic oil and season with S & P. Place inside a pre-heated 400 degree oven. Cook for 15-20 minutes, until edges are browned.
Next, drizzle some garlic-infused olive oil in a pan with deep sides (because you will be adding all of the ingredients to this pan to create the soup) on medium-high heat. Add your basil, and stir for about 30 seconds to merge the garlic oil and basil together. They will become friends quickly. J
Let me just tell you - the smell of the basil warming up with the garlic olive oil, blending in the air with the roasted tomatoes cooking away in the oven is HEAVEN. As soon as hubby walked into the kitchen, he commented on how amazing the house smelled from room to room.
Then, add the canned crushed tomatoes and the 1 ½ cups water. Add S & P to taste. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 15 minutes. It starts to splatter a little here, so I covered it.
Stir in the bread, and simmer an additional 2-3 minutes.
Now, your oven-roasted tomatoes are ready for their leap from the high dive into the pool. Stir in the tomatoes (and their juices from the pan) and simmer for another 3 minutes. Be careful about the splattering effect, again. Next time I make it, I will use a larger pot on the stove. I kept the lid on for the majority of the cooking/simmering process to avoid a messy clean-up, but with that said, I will still use a bigger pot.
Now, you are ready for a BIG ladleful or 3! The Meg addition of freshly shredded parmesan cheese is delicious. As Mom says, “cheese makes everything better!” (so true!) Shaved manchego would also be fantastic. . . Mmm.
It was warm, vibrant, and bursting with basil, garlic, and tomato flavors. The bread chunks slow-danced with each other in the hot tub of tomatoes like they were soulmates. They soaked up all of the whole-hearted goodness the robust tomato has to offer.
Gently place a few fresh basil leaves on top, and call it a beautiful evening.
Bon appétit! J
No comments:
Post a Comment