Sunday, April 24, 2011

Spring Bean Salad

Happy Easter to all!  Today was filled with special moments.  My lovely S2 (Sister 2) was baptized, and we shared delicious food, as well as laughs and smiles with family, to celebrate a sunshine-packed day of new beginnings. 

My other parents hosted an Easter celebration at their house; D2 made mini crabcakes, spinach dip, ham, red potato salad, and many other scrumptious treats.  I brought a homemade pineapple cake with coconut cream cheese frosting and chocolate chip cookies.  (My cookies were not as yummy as my Mom's; I have no idea how she makes them so delicious, time and time again.  I think they just have to be made by her - she has the magic touch - end of story).   Anyway, a good time was had by all today.  It was our first "married Easter", and it was a darn good one.

Last week, I created this simple salad, which I call "Spring Bean Salad".  I was inspired to make it because I wanted a protein-packed, tangy, delicious snack to take to work.  I am a total snacker.  I eat all day long.  I hardly ever eat a huge meal; I prefer small portions throughout the day of all different types of foods.  So, this Spring Bean Salad is an example of one of my "snacks".  The recipe will make about 4-5 nice snack-sized servings.

What you need (all measurements can be adjusted to your liking):
3/4 cup broccoli, roughly chopped
1 can cannelini beans (aka white kidney beans), rinsed and drained
2-3 sprigs fresh mint, chopped
3/4 cup or so of cherry tomatoes, cut in half
palmful of shredded parmesan (fresh mozzarella diced up would be fabulous, as well)
2-3 shakes red wine vinegar
2 drizzles olive oil
S & P
Is there anything more beautiful than a tiny bunch of cherry tomatoes in the Spring?

How you get it done:
Simply toss all ingredients together in a bowl. 
Yes, that is it.  It's delicious. It's simple.  It's nutritious.  It's AWESOME.


The tangy red wine vinegar brings out all of the flavors in a spunky and bright way.  The broccoli gives the salad texture.  The beans add a delicious creaminess and a punch of protein.  The tomatoes add an unparalleled freshness. 

I added the mint on a whim because it was the only fresh herb we had laying around, and it was a home run of a spontaneous decision!  The mint really made the whole salad taste like a fresh garden ~ the essence of Spring. 


Happy Easter 2011, and bon appetit!!

2 comments:

  1. I have no idea what makes my cookies so good - maybe it's the pecans...
    This salad looks FANTASTIC! I am starting another healthy eating week & I will definitely be making this one! Love your blog, Meg! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Mama Suz! The mint is totally optional. A few shakes of dried oregano and thyme would be a nice replacement. Fresh parsley would also be yummy. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete