Saturday, July 23, 2011

Sensuous Smashed Potatoes

I wanted to pair a buttery steak filet with potatoes (a natural marriage, of course) the other night, and I wanted give the potatoes a little more flair.  Sometimes, a perfect baked potato is all you need; it's simplicity and classic taste is what makes it shine.  Other times, I feel that potatoes can dress up a bit more for the cocktail party.  They are such a versatile starch and can be prepared in so many different, exciting ways. 

I remember my Chef-idol, Giada, “smashing” small potatoes ever so perfectly with her manicured hands awhile back and being impressed by the fancy appeal of the end product.  The process looked pretty fun, too, and you all know I am all about the process!  After smashing each small potato, she then pan-fried them to crisp perfection, and I remember thinking how incredible they looked on camera. 
I was inspired to re-create these little gems this week, and I am so glad I did!
I can’t remember how she prepared them, so I added my own simple, easy touches:  extra virgin olive oil, dried herbs, S& P, and a tiny bit of freshly chopped garlic.  I used a little sour cream and chives to top the potatoes. 

This blog, if you haven’t noticed, is about deliciously simple kitchen creations, and this recipe, my friends, is a front runner because it's so darn good and so darn simple.
*inspired by Giada de Laurentiis*
Ingredients (for two servings):
5-6 small yellow potatoes (we also used red potatoes later in the week, and they fell apart a bit because they were bigger, but they still tasted amazing!)
1 tablespoon each of the following:  dried rosemary (or fresh), dried thyme (or fresh), chopped fresh garlic
A few drizzles of extra virgin olive oil
S & P
Reduced fat sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
Chives, chopped.  (for garnish and  a li’l onion flavor)

The Process:
Boil your potatoes with atleast 2 inches of water above them (when resting at the bottom of your pot) for about 20-25 minutes until they are almost fork-tender.  Remove the potatoes, one by one, and place on a cutting board.   Let potatoes cool and dry off for a few minutes.  In the meantime, heat up some olive oil in a pan on medium-high.   Add the dried herbs and the garlic.  Stir frequently so that the garlic doesn't burn. 

Next, with the back of a large knife and the heel of your hand working in beautiful harmony, gently smash each potato until it looks, literally, like a flattened potato.  It will break apart some, and this is more than OK (you can snack on these bits while you are cooking the bigger pieces!). 

Reduce your heat to medium.  Place each potato in your pan and cook about 5-6 minutes each side until they are a golden, nutty brown.   Make sure to leave the potatoes in the pan for atleast 5-6 minutes before flipping so that a delectable crust forms on the outside. 
While potatoes are still warm, add some freshly cracked black pepper and salt to your liking.  Top the potatoes with a little reduced fat sour cream or plain Greek yogurt, allow a few chopped chives to merrily dance on top (not pictured because I was too excited to snap a photo as soon as I plated them), and you have Sensuous Smashed Potatoes to grace your dinner table and engage your palate. 


Bon Appétit, and Happy Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment