Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Tomatoes, Mozzarella, Basil & Balsamic

Oh my gracious, I cannot even put into words how much I love this dish.  Well, OK, I will try.  The mozzarella makes it velvety and luxurious, the balsamic vinegar adds a tangy brightness, the tomatoes bring a juicy, fresh touch, and the basil just tops it all off with an earthy, herby zing.  This dish makes me so happy.  It's incredibly simple to put together, and the flavors are wholesome, pure, and timeless. 

It's the PERFECT time to buy tomatoes, too.  Look at these beauties!

Ingredients:
1 small ball fresh mozzarella
1 medium tomato
about 3-4 fresh basil leaves, stems removed
balsamic vinegar
S & P

The Process:
Simply assemble the salad by slicing the tomatoes and the mozzarella into 1/2" slices, rolling the basil leaves up into a bundle and gently running a knife through them, lengthwise (i.e. chiffonade), adding some freshly cracked black pepper and salt, and drizzling with balsamic vinegar.  Alot of the time, a little extra virgin olive oil is drizzled on the top, as well.  I chose not to do this only because I think that the flavors are beautiful enough with the balsamic alone. 



Isn't it absolutely gorgeous?

No comments:

Post a Comment