Friday, March 18, 2011

Under the Sea

I can comfortably boast a commendable relationship with seafood through my adult years.  Our relationship started out a bit uneasy and questionable, though.  I used to despise it (yes, we were the kids ordering chicken fingers at insanely delicious waterside restaurants).  

Hubby and I love nothing more than to grill a piece of fresh fish on a warm evening and enjoy it with vegetables adorned with tattooed grill marks.  Corn on the cob smothered in butter, roasted red peppers bubbling up inside snug foil pouches, zucchini lightly dressed with extra virgin olive oil crisping up to perfection? Bliss. 

Nothing tastes better to me in the spring and summer months than reasonably-priced seafood & cheap Sauvignon Blanc.  OK, a big ol' burger sittin' pretty next to a cold beer tops the list, as well.  Oh, and chicken-pineapple-veggie kabobs ROCK (another post...)

Having just returned from heaven on earth, aka Pawley's Island, SC, I submerged my tastebuds with delightful seafood dishes each night.  I thoroughly enjoyed savoring in all the freshness and flavor that local seafood and crafty chefs have to offer in this fabulous seaside area. 

Below are the blue ribbons of the week, which I carefully selected and ordered at various restaurants.  I will surely post my own creations soon, as well, as I have decided to dedicate the next few blog entries to all of my inspiration born "under the sea..."

I hope these dishes inspire you to throw together interesting flavors in your own kitchens!

Panko-encrusted Sea Scallops with a Chipotle-Honey Glaze
Ocean One, Litchfield

Jumbo Lump Crab Cakes, Grits, & Greens
(Whole-grain mustard sauce on the side)
Frank's Place, Pawley's Island


Pan-Seared Filet of Grouper, Cheddar Cornmeal Grits, Blue Cheese Slaw
The River Room, Georgetown


Pistachio & Ginger Encrusted Grouper, Parmesan Risotto, Green Beans
Ocean One, Litchfield




1 comment: