I am a dessert lover, in every sweet sense of the word. Reeled into the new Cake Pop trend, I willingly jumped on the bandwagon and made a batch of Oreo Cake Pops for hubby's birthday. I found a recipe that was super simple, consisting of only a few ingredients. I added sprinkles to make the pops twinkle and sparkle since we were celebrating a birthday.
"Oh-So-Good" Oreo Cake Pops
Recipe: adapted from www.thewholesweetscoop.com
Ingredients (makes about 15 pops):
24 Oreo Cookies, crushed in the food processor
3/4 of a cream cheese block (about 6 oz.), softened at room temperature
1 cup white chocolate chips, melted over a double boiler on the stove
1 small container of rainbow sprinkles
Lollipop Sticks (I found mine at Michael's craft store)
The Process:
This is one of those "get your hands dirty" recipes, and I love that. It is essential that the cream cheese rests at room temperature for about 1 hour so that it is pliable. Mix together the crumbled, crushed Oreos in a bowl with the cream cheese. It will take a few minutes to incorporate all of the Oreos into the cream cheese, but be patient. Once you have a "dough" type of consistency, form the Oreo/Cream Cheese mixture into balls. Place the naked cake pops in the refrigerator to set for at least 30 minutes.
Warm the white chocolate (or dark chocolate if you prefer) on the stove top using a double-boiler (one oven safe glass bowl on top of a pot with water in it, on a slow boil). Stir the chocolate with a spatula as the temperature heats up and melts the chocolate.
Remove the naked cake pops from the refrigerator, and place a lollipop stick about halfway into each one (being careful not to poke the stick through the entire pop) so that they are upside down, with the sticks on top.
Gently and ever so delicately, roll each Cake Pop into the melted chocolate. The white chocolate will dry almost translucent, but you will definitely taste it. Then, give it a little roll in a bowl of sprinkles. I then placed each one, right side up, into a block of styrofoam. I used the styrofoam because I had no idea how else to allow them to set and cool without having a messy cake pop catastrophe in my kitchen. The styrofoam block worked well; I would recommend it.
Allow the "Oh-So-Good" Cake Pops to hang out together in the styrofoam for awhile to set. Then, you are ready to serve them!
These cake pops have a truffle-like consistency inside, with a slightly-hardened outer white chocolate shell; the texture combination is so delicious. The sprinkles definitely add fun visual appeal, but next time, I will try decorating them with a few crumbled Oreo pieces, as I am not the biggest fan of sprinkles. Everyone else loved the sprinkles, though, so they were a fan favorite, all in all.
Enjoy!
No comments:
Post a Comment