Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Pete & JoJo's Frozen Delights

On June 6, 2009, I ventured out to a dog adoption stand with my sister to meet a little guy named Pete.  I found Pete online (www.barkva.org) while browsing for pictures and stories of rescue pups.  Drawn to Pete like a magnet, I knew I needed to meet him.  From the photo online, his face was drenched with longing, his eyes were globes of overwhelmed fear, and his body was tiny, delicate, and weary.  A few years of abuse and neglect behind him but still ever so raw and tender in the forefront, I wanted to cradle him and give it my best shot to make his life wonderful. 

I was living with my dear sister at the time, and I knew that I wanted to adopt a dog, having grown up with dogs my entire life.  Simply put, I could not imagine my life for one more day a little furry sidekick named Pete.  Pete was in "foster care" after he was rescued, due to his neglect and abuse, as he would have been too frail and fragile to handle the Bark farm with the other pups.  His foster mom interviewed me on the phone, and she showed up to the adoption stand with thick tears in her eyes.  She spoke these words to my sister and me:  "Be patient with him - it will be so worth it". 

So, Pete came home and started his new life with us.  And, it changed our lives forever. 

That same year, my then-boyfriend-now-hubby was living on his own in a small "tree house" apartment we like to call it.  We knew Pete needed a brother.  So, on a rainy Halloween afternoon, hubby and I ventured out to the very same adoption stand to meet a little guy named Alfie.  All of the dogs were dressed in costumes for Halloween, hoping and yearning for a 2-legged human to fall in love with their charm and take them home. 

Alfie was the only dog without a costume.  Fearful, timid, and with a startle reflex like no other (he still has it but now has a smile to go along with it), Alfie sat in his cage, quiet, pensive, and big-eyed, just taking everything in around him.  Our eyes met, we walked him around in the cold rain with Pete, Pete ignored him (a good sign since he was not a fan of other dogs at the time), and we were smitten. 

And, Alfie was re-named JoJo, and he started his new life with us.  And, it changed our lives forever. 

My Dad2 (hubby's dad) introduced our doggies to Frosty Paws, a commercial canine ice cream product.  They have adored him ever since. 

I found this homemade version online, and it is so incredibly simple to make.  I wanted to make my own because it is remarkably cheaper; I also know exactly what goes into them.  I freeze little portions in ice trays and take them out once or twice a week for Pete and JoJo.  They ADORE this after-dinner ice cream treat. 

Pete & JoJo's Frozen Delights
Source: adapted from www.dailypuppy.com

Ingredients:
2 ripe bananas, mashed
1 container plain Greek yogurt
1 overflowing tablespoon peanut butter  (look for lower sodium kinds)


The Process:
Simply mix everything together with a spatula, portion the mixture as you see fit according to your doggie's size, and freeze.  Our boys are both under 15 lbs., and they enjoy about 1 tablespoon per serving.

Before serving, allow the ice cream to thaw a bit at room temperature (or you can microwave it for about 5 seconds). 


Your canine companions will be lapping up this treat gloriously and looking at you with big ol' thankful eyes! (Or closing their eyes to begin some peaceful dreaming!)

~Pete~

~JoJo~

"Heaven goes by favor. 
If it went by merit, you would stay out
and your dog would go in."

~Mark Twain~

No comments:

Post a Comment