Sunday, February 13, 2011
BBQ Turkey Burgers with Caramelized Onions
OK, let’s get down to business. When I took my first bite of this burger, I was in love. I am definitely a burger girl. One of my favorite things to do is to splurge every now and then on a mouth-watering, perfectly spiced & seasoned hamburger (with gooey cheese of course).
So, when I was watching one of my favorite TV chefs, Claire Robinson (she hosts 5 Ingredient Fix – one of my most recent obsessions) a few weeks ago, I saw her create these burgers and had to make them. The ingredients that were not already snuggled up in our fridge were added to the grocery list!
Here is a synopsis of her delicious recipe, one I will be making time and time again. Make your turkey patties with just a sprinkling of S & P. I added a bit of dried oregano simply because I enjoy the flavor with meat, but S & P is really all you need. I pan-sauteed them, as it was 28 degrees that evening, but grilling them would be AWESOME. Slice up on 1 onion (I used a yellow onion) into very thin slices and throw in a pan with a touch of olive oil. Cook the onions until they become golden brown, softened, and their natural sugars start to release, about 12-15 minutes on medium/high heat, stirring occasionally.
As your burgers are cooking away next-door in a another pan, and are almost cooked to your liking, add some cheese (we used Colby Jack since we had that in the fridge for lunch sandwiches). Put a lid on them, turn the heat off, and just let the magic happen for about 1 minute. Add the burger to a roll or bun of your choosing. We chose potato rolls because of their softness, as well as their sale price. Pile a scoop of sweet caramelized onions on top of the burger. Drizzle some store-bought BBQ sauce on top, and prepare yourself. You are about to bite into a rock star of a turkey burger.
Hubby wants to try them next time with ground beef, as he’s more of a red meat kind of guy. I think the turkey is what makes the other flavors pop so much, as it has a mild flavor, but we will give the ground beef a try, for sure.
The beauty of this sandwich is that ketchup, mustard, mayo, and relish went on a well-deserved vacation (they work pretty hard in America!). BBQ sauce stepped up to the plate and hit a home run.
Trust me, these burgers are simply delicious.
Labels:
burgers
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment