Like the strongest of super glues, my Mom stuck the importance of eating breakfast into our heads from as long ago as I can remember, and I cannot thank her enough for it. I enjoy making breakfast more than anything. I am forever a waffles girl, but I also love egg dishes. I feel that one can always add robust, seasonal veggies, different types of cheeses, and flavorful, savory meats to egg dishes, and I cannot come up with enough fun and creative ideas for them.
I call this post "Frugal Frittata" because I used a mere 4 or 5 simple ingredients for this dish, and these ingredients were already inside the fridge from the previous week's grocery trip. This meal is PERFECT for a weekend morning, and it jump starts your day in the most fulfilling way.
What you need (2 or 3 servings):
3 or 4 eggs, whisked in a small bowl
Splash of milk or cream (added to whisked eggs)
a big palmful of cheese (I used cheddar)
a few slices of deli meat, chopped into bite-size pieces (I used ham)
1 small onion or 1/2 of a larger onion, diced
Add some butter to a pan (a few sprays of non-stick cooking spray along the sides of the pan also helps the sides of the frittata release easily), and start cooking your onions at medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. After about 2-3 minutes, add your deli meat, and cook mixture together, stirring just enough so nothing burns. Reduce your heat to medium-low when meat is slightly browned and onions are opaque. Wait until the pan has cooled down a bit (1 minute or so), and slowly pour your eggs into the pan. Watch the eggs settle perfectly into and around the meat and onions. Add a touch of salt and some freshly cracked black pepper. Put a lid on the frittata, and go enjoy a cup of coffee.
After a few minutes, sprinkle the palmful of cheese on top of the frittata, put the lid back on, and go finish your coffee. (And, if you are like us, start brewing another pot!) Your eyes and nose will tell you when it's time for breakfast. Cut into wedges, and place a wedge or 2 on each plate. Slices of whole wheat toast with your favorite jam go perfectly with the frittata. Bon appetit!
nutritious. fulfilling. simple.
Looks yummy, my friend! Love your blog.
ReplyDelete