What a better and more refreshing way to start out a typically gray and dismal February than by sharing a picture of the most colorful fish tacos? Today is, refreshingly, pretty sunny and beautiful, although typically, February is GRAY.
I am eagerly anticipating perky daffodils poking through soil that has been cold and damp for months... Even just the thought of that first smell of Spring in the air is enough for me to throw on my parka and drag the grill out from the basement and start concocting marinades!
I was inspired to make these delicious fish tacos last summer after trying them at a local Northside restaurant and enjoying them but not REALLY enjoying them. I had also tried them in the past at various other spots in the city but was never blown away. I was determined to make my version brighter, tastier, and fresher.
I combined simple ingredients: Mahi filets (any dense white fish works beautifully), fresh spinach, corn (I used frozen; fresh would be even better), cherry tomatoes, white onion, fresh squeezed lime juice, and S & P (salt and pepper). I nestled the ingredients together on a warmed flour tortilla and topped with a sprinkling of shredded mozz. A little spoonful of plain Greek yogurt on top adds a tangy touch of creaminess.
The messier, the better… the extra bites that fall out of the tortilla are delicious piled high on a fork or scooped up in a tortilla chip! Arugula would be even better than spinach, but that's what we had in the fridge! Marriage has helped hubby and I really master the art of budgeting (well, he was great at it before ... me? not so much!); and we try, each week, to put together meals that are friendly to the plastic.
These tacos go together beautifully with a generous glass of Sauvignon Blanc or a beer glass filled to the brim with Blue Moon. A simple homemade salsa of chopped roasted cherry tomatoes, diced onion, black beans, lime juice, and cilantro marries beautifully with the tacos as a sidedish to be enjoyed as a topper to the tacos and/or with chips.
I cannot make these enough, and they really do brighten up a dismal February day! Close your eyes, take a bite, and you are transported to a warm June evening at sunset on a balcony overlooking a sparkling, peach-drenched ocean. I may even hear steel drums?
I think I'll give those a try Megan! Andrew usually gets those at the Northside Grill when we go there but I bet he would like your version better! -Katie B.
ReplyDelete