The weather in Richmond has been a little wishy-washy the past few weeks. High 60s and low 70s flirted with us last weekend but left us to wait and wonder without a phone call or text the next day and throughout the week. Some rain came this morning (I actually adore rain for it’s calming, replenishing quality), followed by powerful winds and then a break-through of beaming sunshine and *slightly* warmer temperatures. And then the temps plummeted as the sun started to set during our evening jog.
When it’s cold outside, a hearty bowl of chili makes me so happy. My brother (the cooking connoisseur, if you remember from blog post #1) taught me, among other things, how to make chili. I remember so vividly - he said to me, “Meg, it’s really easy. Just throw in a few things that sound like they’d be good in a chili, and I promise you, it will taste different every single time, but it will always be AWESOME.”
When hubby and I traveled to San Francisco in 2009 on one of our California adventures, my brother made us the most incredible bowl of chili. (Actually, we all ate 2 or 3 bowls). We asked him how he made it, and he shared with us his ingredients. We watched in awe as those ingredients came together to become a simmering pot of hearty, meaty, savory soul food.
The chili I made few nights ago was simply delicious. It doesn't compare with brother's, but it stands strong and holds it's own. I wanted to share it with you because it was SO SIMPLE. And, as soups and stews usually are, it was even better on night two.
So, here’s what you need and how you make it.
Ingredients:
Approx. 2 lbs. ground chicken breast (2 packages for a nice meaty chili)
1 large can of crushed tomatoes
1 onion, chopped
3 or 4 cloves of fresh garlic, chopped
1 can of kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 can of tri-bean blend (or 1 can white or black beans), rinsed and drained
Herbs & Spices (I do not measure these, but I added about 1 large tbsp. of chili powder and 1 tsp. each of cumin, oregano, sage, crushed fennel seed, and then a sprinkling of red pepper flakes)
1 beer (preferably a dark lager)
S & P
Shredded sharp cheddar cheese
A small scoop of plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
Cornbread Muffins
The Process:
Cook chopped onion and garlic together in a pan with a little drizzle of olive oil over medium/high heat until onions are softened and slightly caramelized. Stir frequently so that garlic does not burn. Rinse your beans and add to a crockpot. Pour crushed tomatoes directly from the can into crock pot. Once your onions are cooked (about 5 minutes), add both packages of chicken. Break up chicken with a wooden spoon (I do not know why this works better than any other kind of spoon, but it just does - thanks to Mom for that tip!) and cook until browned but not completely cooked, about 6-8 minutes. Drain onion-garlic-meat mixture on paper towels and then transfer to crockpot. Add herbs & spices and S & P. Pour in one 12 oz. dark lager beer (brother’s important tip). Stir all ingredients together, put a lid on the crockpot, and cook 6-8 hours on low. The doggies smelled it ALL afternoon, and I am sure they were salivating.
Come home, pour heaping ladlefuls into deep bowls and top with sharp shredded cheddar and a spoonful of Greek yogurt or sour cream. Hubby decorates his bowl with Siracha and/or hot sauce; I prefer mine without it. Enjoy a glass of Pinot Noir or, even better, enjoy a bottle of the same dark beer you used for the chili. Place 2 warm cornbread muffins on a plate, and dive in.
It will be a chili night to remember J
No comments:
Post a Comment