Friday, April 27, 2012

Artichoke Soup with Fresh Mint

I am so excited about this soup that I can hardly stand it.  I am literally typing so fast that my hands cannot keep up with my thoughts.  The lovely Giada De Laurentiis created this recipe, and I jumped out of my chair with reckless abandon after my first glistening, green spoonful.  Just ask hubby. 

There are a few soups in my repertoire, but not many.  I am not skilled in the "homemade soup realm".  My sister-in-law, Rachel, on the other hand, probably has 1,000 soups tucked away in her brilliant Italian brain.  This soup and this post are both dedicated to Rachel.

When I think of Rachel, I immediately think of these words: 

passionate. determined. beautiful.
spunky. giving. intelligent. 
soup-lover. 

She has been an inspiration to me for over 10 years, and I feel a bond to her that is tied together by the secure ropes of family, truth, spirit, and strength. 

Thank you, Rachel, for being exactly who you are.  You never stop amazing me. 

And, thank you for loving soup so much!  I re-created this soup last week in honor of you, and I am so glad that I did.  It is a permanent bookmark in my brain now, and I am sure that I will make it many times in my future.  Giada just knows how to do it, doesn't she? 

This soup is packed with flavor, and it tastes extremely clean, bright, and simple at the same time. 

Artichoke Soup with Fresh Mint
Recipe:  Giada De Laurentiis

Ingredients (2-3 servings):
1 small onion, diced
1 cup fresh baby spinach leaves
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 cups chicken stock
1 palmful of fresh mint
1 12 oz. bag frozen artichokes, thawed (or 1 can artichokes in water, drained and chopped)
1/2 lemon
S & P
olive oil

The Process:
Begin by pouring yourself some white wine.  It goes beautifully with the soup.

Next, cook the onions and chopped celery in a pan over medium-high heat with some olive oil.

Once the onions and celery are translucent and cooked (5-7 minutes), add the artichokes and the chicken stock into the pan.  Stir to combine the flavors.  Turn down the heat to medium-low, and put a lid on the pan.  Let the mixture simmer for about 10-12 minutes. 

Next, pull out your blender.  Add the fresh spinach and fresh mint to the blender, and let those 2 become friends for a bit.

Once the soup has cooked on medium-low for 10-12 minutes, add the hot soup to the blender with the spinach and mint.  Blend until all the goodies are incorporated and start to look like the consistency of a delicious, soul-warming, bright, clean, and simple soup.

Pour into bowls, and add a touch of freshly squeezed lemon.  This step is crucial; it brings all of the other flavors to the horizon. 

We served this soup alongside a big hunk of crusty, cheesy bread. It was a good choice. :)

This soup is like a breath of fresh air. 


Bon Appetit, and raise a glass to family! 




No comments:

Post a Comment