Saturday, April 14, 2012

"Balanced" Zucchini Muffins

I love having people around me - people to laugh with, celebrate with, work with, share a bottle of wine with, travel with, etc.  And, as much as I love flapping my wings as a social butterfly, I have to find my center again, and I am only able to do this when I am alone.  I crave my alone time and feel that I need it to be happy and healthy.  My Dad is exactly the same way. 

The wise Mama Suz taught me, among zillions of other things, that life is really all about balance.  Everyone's "balance" is different, and for me, my social balance is 30% extrovert/70% introvert. 

There is nothing in the world like losing yourself in the most cathartic way while walking alone along the surf of your favorite beach, digesting your heart and soul into a book while sitting on the couch alone in a quiet house, or, especially for me - cooking alone inside my kitchen with nothing but my 2 hands, my spiraling thoughts, and my music. 

With all of that said, there is also nothing in the world like dancing with your sister at a bar to a special friend's live music or getting lost in conversation with the Yang to your Yin over beers, a grill, a sunset, and 2 pups.  Balance. . . it is a beautiful thing. 

These Zucchini Muffins are from Sheryl Crow's cookbook, which I absolutely ADORE.  The recipes that fill the cookbook are ones that her traveling chef creates with her while they are on the road, and they are all healthy and natural.  Each page screams "rainbow food".  (Another Mama Suz-coined term).

"Balanced" Zucchini Muffins
Recipe:  Chuck White & Sheryl Crow, from "If It Makes You Healthy"

Ingredients:
2 large eggs, whisked
1/3 cup light brown sugar
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
3 cups grated fresh zucchini (about 3 small zucchini)
2/3 cup canola oil (I used 1/3 cup olive oil and 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce)
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 cup pecans
1 cup golden raisins

The Process:
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.  Spray a muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray. 

In a mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, brown sugar, and vanilla.  Stir in the grated zucchini, oil (or oil and applesauce), baking soda, and salt.

In a different bowl, whisk the flour with the cinnamon and nutmeg. 

Now, it is time for the worlds to merge and become balanced.  Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, and stir to combine.  Fold in the pecans and raisins.

Fill muffin cups about 3/4 of the way.  This batter is super thick, and it actually makes a touch more than what you need for 12 muffins.  I put the rest of the batter in a small pan and made a little zucchini loaf for my sister.  If you wanted to just make a Zucchini Loaf, use all of the batter for a loaf pan, and bake for 50-55 minutes at the same baking temperature. 

Bake the muffins for 25-30 minutes.  Remove from oven, and transfer the muffins to a cooling rack. 

Your kitchen (and the rest of your house) will smell like a bakery.  And, the smell lingers all day long.  It is wonderful. 

The zucchini dances through the muffins in an effortless, delightful way.  The pecans and raisins help to make the muffins hearty and naturally sweet.  These muffins do not taste sugary sweet like your typical muffin, so do not expect them to.  Instead, they bring a powerful punch of healthy flavors and textures. 

Enjoy these muffins and this beautiful weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment